DotStar LED Hula Hoop

I have been doing research on building a 'SmartHoop". My wife is very into Hula Hooping and I have built her and the kids several normal LED hoops in the past.

At this point I have connected 5 meters of DotStar Digital LED strip (http://www.adafruit.com/products/2238) with 30 RGB LEDs per meter to an Arduino Uno. I have been able to upload the Strandtest example and send tracers of different colors and speed around the strip.

I have lots of plans for this project. Was looking at a tiny microcontroller to run this project and settled on using an ATMEGA328P-PU Microcontrolle​r chip wired like this video: Arduino on a Breadboard - YouTube packaged into a hula hoop.

I am currently researching the code I need to run different patters. Once I have that complete I'll start constructing the hoop.

Pictures will be included as I progress. Possibly slowly progress, due to my building a 3D printer at the same time...

Dave

Was there a question somewhere in this posting ??, or perhaps this should be moved to the gallery / showcase section if not

I have been reading on Adafruit that you can ‘easily’ port code from the NeoPixels to the DotStar strips. The NeoPixels strandtest is much more complex and really shows what the strips can do. This also gives me a great jump off point for creating patterns.

The issue for me is that I am not finding it easy to port the code over as the code is quite different.

I should have some time tonight to play with the code. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I have attached both code samples to this message.

Thanks!
Dave

DotStar_Strandtest.txt (2.2 KB)

NeoPixel_Strandtest.txt (4.04 KB)

I put together the attached code using the NeoPixel Strandtest and changing the library #include and the strip declaration. Going to give it a try tonight.

Any thoughts? I’m hoping it will work because there seems to be quite a bit of NeoPixel code out there and not very much for the DotStars.

NeoPixel_Strandtest_Modified.txt (3.13 KB)

Arduino: 1.6.1 (Windows 7), Board: "Arduino Uno"

DotStar.ino:12:3: error: 'strip' does not name a type

DotStar.ino:13:3: error: 'strip' does not name a type

DotStar.ino:14:1: error: expected declaration before '}' token

Error compiling.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
enabled in File > Preferences.

Any ideas??

I found my error. Didn't have void setup in there... Wow what a simple mistake...