double layer pcb vias/hollow rivets?

Members

Where do you source your double layer pcb vias/hollow rivets from? Im chasing 0.4 x 0.6 x +/-2mm long & 0.6 x 0.8 x +/-2mm long.

Thanks in advance

My PCBs come with plated thru holes/vias, nothing extra needed.
Are you making your own board that you need these?
I have a small bag of these somewhere, can never find them when I want to try them instead of a plastic-spaced socket.
Pin receptacle 0.038” (0.96mm) internal diameter. Solder mount in 0.04” (1.02mm) mounting hole. Mill-Max 0552-1-15-01-11-27-10-0

I make my own double sided boards.

I tried to find some of those rivets but it turned out to be almost impossible here. Also they require huge (relatively) holes. So I ended up specifying 0.5mm holes for the vias (still making them quite large) and just drill the 0.5mm holes. I then push a piece of wire through and solder to both sides. Works pretty well for me.

Willem.

Hollow rivets are called eyelets.

fnb111:
Members

Where do you source your double layer pcb vias/hollow rivets from? Im chasing 0.4 x 0.6 x +/-2mm long & 0.6 x 0.8 x +/-2mm long.

Thanks in advance

Interesting the length can be -2mm.

I will attempt to make my own pcb. A cnc machine was delivered and I'm waiting for all the bits. I found some vias with a drill hole of 0.9mm ( too big)

Willem43- I think I'll have to do the same. Thanks for the help

No cnc facilities, unfortunately. I use pre-sensitized board, UV exposure and traditional ferric chloride leaving as much copper as possible. It looks a bit like cnc made pc boards, see attachment.

I use tinned copper wire. The wire I have is slightly larger than 0.5mm (24SWG I think) so I stretch it a bit to thin it enough to fit the drilled 0.5mm holes snugly.

I push it through to just protrude on the other side and solder. Then trim the wire to almost flush and solder. It takes a bit of time but works very well. I never had a bad connection (yet - touch wood).

Hope that helps. Enjoy.

Willem.

Board.jpg

Hi Paul__B,

I know how to show pictures but in this case thought it was not really necessary. It was more illustrative, if someone is curious, than required for any explanation. Also it turned out a bit bigger than originally planned so I decided to leave it only as an attachment.

Maybe I am wrong, so, thanks for posting it.

Willem.

Readers do not want to have to open attachments. It is frequently inconvenient as it requires a secondary viewer of some sort as this forum software unaccountably fouls up the MIME type of the attachment.

That is a very pretty PCB pattern. :grinning:

Point taken.

I will stop being lazy and reduce and reload pictures if they appear too large - and display them.

Oh, and thanks.

Willem.

I use to use theses PCB eyelets many years ago, still have ~1,000,000; they require a relatively large pad that the flaring can solder to.

You also get a neat look with wire wrap wire when soldered from one side to the other.