Double serial baud rate bug (arduino-0021 Ubuntu)

I'm using Ubuntu 10.10. For some weird reason, the "arduino" package (0018) does not run (it complains about "rxtxSerial ..."). So I followed the following post:

arduino.cc/pipermail/developers_arduino.cc/2010-October/003562.html

which allowed me to install arduino 0021~ppa2. Although everything compiles and runs, the specified serial baud rate is incorrect. Specifically, when I declare "Serial.begin(9600)", I get gibberish unless the listener's baud rate is set to 19200. Similarly, when I declare "Serial.begin(4800)", I get gibberish unless the listener's baud rate is set to 9600.

I've observed this bug on multiple computers, multiple Arduino Duemilanoves, and using the included "Serial Monitor", using boost::asio, and using pyserial.

Has anybody else experienced this weird bug?

AX

EDIT: I was able to install arduino 0018 by following the steps outlined in:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/arduino/+bug/664309

I can now confirm that this bug is not just limited to 0021, but also to the arduino 0018 package from Ubuntu 10.10's official repo.

What's the listener? It sounds like either the code is getting compiled for an 8 MHz clock and running at 16 MHz. Are you sure you have the right board selected from the tools menu? There's a small possibility the double serial baud rate bit (U2X) is set but the baud rate calculation is ignoring it; but I don't think that will happen in Arduino 0021.

Oh how silly of me... the target was set to Arduino Mini, either by accident or as result of one of my installation attempts. Thank you very much mellis!