Doubt Regarding Encoder

Dear Friend,

I have some issue in getting output from 13 bit absolute encoder with parallel interface. My encoder consist of V/R, Latch, Preset pins. I don't know how to get the output using the code. Please help me with interface 10-30 vdc as encoder input

Encoder Datasheet https://files.pepperl-fuchs.com/webcat/navi/productInfo/edb/t25102_eng.pdf?v=20160503131343

Regards, Azhaganandhan.v

Dear Team i Have a 13 bit absolute encoder https://files.pepperl-fuchs.com/webcat/navi/productInfo/edb/t25102_eng.pdf?v=20160503131343. i just want to connect this encoder with arduino uno so that i want to get the output value from the encoder while under rotation. am a starter in learning arduino.

do a web search for arduino grey code it may give you some ideas

don’t double post

"very urgent" suggests that you want your question answered before the questions of other people who are ahead of you in the queue.

That's not nice.

...R

Nice encoder (How much$)

It does all the work for you…!
Please post your schematic*, and code ‘so far’ (within </> code tags)… we can help you identify the places to improve your code or clean up your wiring if needed.

• Not a Fritzy diagram please!

@Azhaganandhan, please do not cross-post. Threads merged.

Hi, Welcome to the forum.

Please read the first post in any forum entitled how to use this forum. http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html

What is the EXACT part number of y our encoder, this will tell us if it is binary or grey code output.

What is the application, do you need 8192 points per turn, or 8192 / 360 = 22.75 counts per degree.

Are you aware that you will be using the majority of you IO pins on the UNO?

Can you please tell us your electronics, programming, Arduino, hardware experience?

Thanks.. Tom... :)

Taking it from private message to here.

Looks like you’re on your way to getting it to work, which is good.

The next thing is… everybody needs to know exactly how the device is connected up… eg. what power supply are you using? You’ll probably need a 12V DC, 5A supply.

40eccb64-4c71-4b45-a6e7-2148257ae15d.jpg

Taking it from private message to here.

Please keep us in the loop on progress, as this looks like a nice encoder to work with for some applications. Especially if the price isn’t ridiculous. (Reply #5) Thanks.

I just a beginner in arduino. i must take your guidance thanks for your tutorial. i need this application 8192 points per turn, or 8192 / 360 = 22.75 counts per degree. can i start use arduino mega inorder to increase my io pins...please help me if am wrong. i am ready learn from u..... you can find the datasheet of the encoder by this link https://files.pepperl-fuchs.com/webcat/navi/productInfo/edb/t25102_eng.pdf?v=20160503131343

Yes you can. The mega will allow you to use 13 digital input pins for getting the gray code values. And then the mega will have other pins that you can use for control lines. You'll most likely use 1 control line for latching .... for holding values steady for times when you do the digital reading.

At this stage, you will probably need to say what you have successfully accomplished..... ie...what is working..... or what is not yet working etc. In other words...... what issues are you getting at the moment.

If you are able to read digital values from each pin.... and those digital levels remain constant when the encoder shaft is stationary ...... and then they change when you rotate the shaft..... then that will be good news.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=180C7rj7ajw4YBdsaKuHT4GQmwcLVHW52 this is the power supply am using

Azhaganandhan:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=180C7rj7ajw4YBdsaKuHT4GQmwcLVHW52 this is the power supply am using

That’s good. That should do nicely.

What you got to do now is to look at your manual for that encoder. The manual is saying that the data pin voltages will depend pretty much on your supply voltage.

So if you were to use 12V supply, then your data pins will be in either of two states… 0V or 12V…depending on your encoder shaft position. Well… it might not get up to 12V exactly for the data pin… because the manual is saying there’s some expected drop in voltage… of up to 2.5V… so you could get something in the range of 9.5V to 12V.

So if you use 12V supply, high voltage on a data pin might be somewhere around 12V… you’ll probably need to use a multimeter to measure it. But a mega or uno operates around 5V… so you’d need to use voltage divider to ensure that the arduino input pins don’t get presented with more than 5V.

Example… (but need to measure what voltage you actually get from the data pins of the encoder first).

FVS58.jpg

the data sheet states Operating voltage UB 10 ... 30 V DC and Signal voltage high operating voltage minus voltage drop

if the signal volatge is greater than 5V you will require voltage divider before connecting it to a Mega

I suppose Tom’s earlier question becomes relevant here... This is quite a high-end ‘absolute’ encoder, and depending on your project may be significant overkill. ($$)

What are you building? A simpler quadrature encoder (less I/O pins) may be more appropriate if the operating environment is suitable.

do u want to use octocoupler

do u want me to use octocoupler. sorry for the delay

Unable to publish the post. because i can only post once every 5 minutes and only edit posts after 30 seconds. Once i reached 100 published posts this limit will be removed. :( :( :( :(

Hi,

Can you please post a copy of your circuit, in CAD or a picture of a hand drawn circuit in jpg, png?

Can you please post any code you have been trying?

What is the EXACT part number of your encoder, we need to know if it is grey code or binary?

Whether to use an opto-coupler or not depends on your use, how fast will the encoder be turning? As asked earlier, what is the application?

Tom... :) Please see post #7.

13bit == 8192 positions per revolution is my requirement . the encoder am using binary code. if u want more details please check in this url datasheet of the encoder