doubt regarding Millis

int value = 0; long previousMillis = 0;

long interval = 3000; //delay

void setup() { Serial.begin(9600);

}

void loop() {

unsigned long currentMillis = millis();

if( currentMillis - previousMillis > interval) { if(Serial.available()) { value = Serial.read(); } Serial.flush(); previousMillis = currentMillis; } }

I'm trying to receive a character only after 3 seconds, if any character comes before 3 seconds it should be discarded.

Is this program correct for what I intend??

Try reading the documentation for the serial.flush() method. AND make sure it's the version on the site.

Mark

I think your code will do what you want. But you don't need Serial.flush(). It is badly named and it is only relevant (and then not much) when the Arduino is sending data.

...R

@robin2 - I think the op wants to throw away all input before the 3 seconds, hence the flush. The old spec (only on the arduino) was to clear the input buffer.

Mark

holmes4:
@robin2 - I think the op wants to throw away all input before the 3 seconds, hence the flush. The old spec (only on the arduino) was to clear the input buffer.

Mark

Looking at his code, the flush statement is inside the if (3 seconds elapsed) loop. How will it flush anything before 3 seconds has elapsed?

Henry_Best: Looking at his code, the flush statement is inside the if (3 seconds elapsed) loop. How will it flush anything before 3 seconds has elapsed?

I see that too. So the first read you get will be the first character sent regardless of whether that is before 3 seconds or not.

Instead of the flush call, I would have a Serial.read() into some dummy int variable every pass of the loop in an else clause to that if (currentMillis... statement. The loop will turn over way faster than serial data could ever hope to arrive at the chosen baud rate so there's no risk of there being 2 characters in the buffer at any given time.

holmes4: @robin2 - I think the op wants to throw away all input before the 3 seconds, hence the flush.

That's as may be. But the reality is that Serial.flush() does not do that nowadays. And there is no new equivalent for what it used to do.

...R

Untested but uses less variables.

unsigned long interval = 3000; //delay

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(9600);
}

void loop()
{
  unsigned long currentMillis = millis(); // Get current time

while ((millis() - currentMillis) < interval) // Has interval expired?
  {
    while (Serial.available() > 0)  // Any serial data arrived?
    {
      byte value = Serial.read(); // read and discard it
    }
  }
  // Interval is up so next serial read is wanted
}

This: Serial.read();

uses even less variables than this: byte value = Serial.read();

You could try this:

char value = 0;

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(9600);

}

boolean ready = false;
void loop()
{
  if (!ready){
    //first 3 seconds  
    if( millis() > 3000)
    {
      ready = true; //3 seconds has passed.
    } 
    else if(Serial.available())
    {
      Serial.read(); //clear any characters arriving early.
    }
  } 
  else {
    //After 3 seconds:
    if(Serial.available())
    {
      value = Serial.read();
    }

}
}