Downloading hex from the Atmega

I can upload via avr dude, tried searching google but it mostly came up with info bypassing security bit locks... I have a chinese delivered chip with Ardutester (which version I have no clue) I want to copy the hex and then compare it with older versions in hex form...

The latest ardutester is apparently buggy, so the curiosity of which version is getting to me, so before I go build it I want to grab the firmware and while at it strip down the latest ardutester code to make it more stable.. so Im dying to discover more about the firmware, has it been stripped down? New version fixed? If so more of a reason to grab a copy...

Anyway can it be done with an Arduino via ISP (same method to flash the firmware/bootloader)?

Assuming that the protection bits have NOT been set, you should be able to get away with

avrdude   -p atmega328p -P /dev/tty.usbserial-FTD61T6Q -cstk500v1 -b19200 -U flash:r:dest.hex

Substitute port/programmer-type/speed and add config files as appropriate - basically you're just replacing the -U flash:w: (write to flash) with a -U flash:r: (read from flash)

If the protections bits HAVE been set or ISP programming has been disabled, or RESET has been changed to a GPIO pin, it will be significantly more difficult (up to "impossible" if they have protected it well. Short of etching away the package and select areas of metalization and microprobing...)

cjdelphi:
I can upload via avr dude, tried searching google but it mostly came up with info bypassing security bit locks... I have a chinese delivered chip with Ardutester (which version I have no clue) I want to copy the hex and then compare it with older versions in hex form...

The latest ardutester is apparently buggy, so the curiosity of which version is getting to me, so before I go build it I want to grab the firmware and while at it strip down the latest ardutester code to make it more stable.. so Im dying to discover more about the firmware, has it been stripped down? New version fixed? If so more of a reason to grab a copy...

Anyway can it be done with an Arduino via ISP (same method to flash the firmware/bootloader)?

You can use my Windows script to copy (&paste) or strip out what you need!

http://www.hackster.io/rayburne/avr-firmware-duplicator

Ray

PS... If you find a stable source for Ardutester I would be interested. Somewhere with menu changes the code went belly-up and I never kept an archive copy.