Draft crap

I have the stupid Save drafts automatically setting set to unchecked in my profile. The idiotic forum software keeps saving drafts every few seconds, anyway.

When is this new software going to work correctly? Will hell freeze over first?

And supposing it does save a draft, how do you recover it?

Maybe it's write-only-memory ?

...R

I was wondering that myself, but if you go to Profile -> Forum Settings: Edit then you will see a link "Show Drafts". You can (apparently) edit a draft and continue with it, which would be handy if your session crashed.

which would be handy if your session crashed

In the short time I have been here, this has never happened to me other than a power fail.

It's nice they spent their time to add this feature rather than using their time, let's say, to fix the download speed.

I honestly think that saving what you are typing, on their server, every few seconds, is just unnecessary overhead, for a forum that is already painfully slow.

LarryD: In the short time I have been here, this has never happened to me other than a power fail.

It's nice they spent their time to add this feature rather than using their time, let's say, to fix the download speed.

I have had many a post go haywire.

This feature is built into any decent browser any way, I use chrome. If my internet router looses connection/power and I do not notice when I click post, I can simply reopen or click back once reconnected and my post is still there.

If I get logged out and my post fails I can login using a new tab, then click back on my old tab to recover the message. Same deal for a crashed PC/power failure (it asks to reopen tabs), the forum draft is useless and saving the second I click the cursor into the box is just plain silly.

Take a look at this, I mean, just look at it! This is the network activity to load one page (this one):

And then:

Finally wrapping up with calls to id.arduino.cc (twice) and hub.arduino.cc. Those last few calls always seem to leave the "spinning activity" icon running on my browser for ages.

That's a lot of stuff, just to show one page. And look how many blasted smilies there are there!

@PaulS: That was 2.5 seconds to try to load tigger.gif.

I was about to apologize for the size of the PNG files I linked to, but look at what every forum page has!

• index.css - 82 kB
  • foundation2.css - 196 kB
  • jquery.min.js - 94 kB
  • jquery_sceditor.js - 150 kB
  • jquery_sceditor.or.bbcode.js - 62 kB
  • My own avatar is 139 kB. Why doesn't the forum resize the file?! If I take a screenshot of my avatar, as displayed, it becomes 8 kB! It's downloading a 139 kB file, and then telling the browser to resize it to 64 x 64 pixels. Why not have the server resize it, once?

Look at the summary. 1.2 megabytes to be downloaded to show one forum thread. That's amazing!

Compare that to a thread from my forum: http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=11063

That page doesn't have any embedded images (which would make the download larger, naturally) - the same as this thread here. This page doesn't have any embedded images (it will after I make this post, but it didn't before). My forum page has 93 kB of stuff, including the graphics (normally they would be cached). That's a lot less than 1.2 MB.

What's the difference? I'm not using 100s of kB of Javascript. My style sheet is 2 kB rather than 170 KB. I don't have avatars. Everything is simple. But, it's still readable.

I managed to catch one:

That page loaded pretty quickly, except for the hub.arduino.cc "callback". What is that? Is it needed? Why is it needed?

To save load on the forum I resized my avatar for them. It is now 2.5 kB rather than over 100 kB.

It looks like absolute crap on my profile page (where it is expanded up in a very pixellated way) but for forum posts it looks fine, slightly better than usual if anything.

Also, the less hair we have the faster the page will load. :'(

Also see: http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=277182.msg1972531#msg1972531

Nick, how did you get the nice charts in Reply #6

...R

The N-Gauge Forum also uses SMF - V2.0.9

It would be interesting to see equivalent charts for it? The difference must surely be stuff that is added by the Arduino Team

Look at the summary. 1.2 megabytes to be downloaded to show one forum thread. That's amazing!

It's not amazing. It's depressing.

What's even more depressing is that @mastrolinux nor any of his team will join this discussion to explain what's going on.

...R

I can hardly recognise you!

Block_Gammon.png

I'm seeing that too. Nick Gammon, you've been singled out... Questioned the forum deities too much??

Yeah, Nick, you seem to have done something to piss someone off. Your user ID doesn't even show up. Just a blank space where it used to be.

Not that it matters. Your posts are still fully recognizable, cutting through the bullshit like a hot knife through butter.

They got you as well Paul. Your avatar is missing, not even a silhouette.

Don

Is this like in Back to the Future, where the family photos fade until the timeline gets corrected?

Robin2: Nick, how did you get the nice charts in Reply #6

Using Firefox, I clicked on Tools -> Web developer (I'm not sure if you need to enable something to see this) -> Network.

Then load a page and watch the fun!

I’m seeing that too. Nick Gammon, you’ve been singled out… Questioned the forum deities too much??

Says Pyro_65 whose avatar is also blank.

Yeah, Nick, you seem to have done something to piss someone off. Your user ID doesn’t even show up. Just a blank space where it used to be.

Says PaulS whos avatar is just the text “avatar_PaulS”. Where did Tigger go, PaulS? Answer me that!

Is this like in Back to the Future, where the family photos fade until the timeline gets corrected?

I think it’s like the episode Remember Me from STNG, where crew members just start disappearing one by one.