Dragging and dropping a HEX file?

Hi, sorry - new here, please be kind to me!

After many years of not programming I rediscovered it when somebody gave me a couple of BBC Micro:Bits. A good start but it didn't take me long to put them away and buy some Arduino Nanos which have so many advantages! Oh, apart from one.

On the Micro:Bit, you wrote your code then compiled it. The compiler would ask you where to put the finished .HEX file and save it there.

To use it, you plug the Micro:Bit into the USB port, the host PC recognises it as an external drive (memory stick_ called Micro:Bit. You simply navigate to the page where your HEX files are stored and drag & drop your chosen one onto the Micro:Bit icon, it loads and runs immediately.

This makes it incredibly easy to compare different versions etc.

Is there any way that this can be implemented for Arduino? I find the IDE very easy to use but it does seem to take a while to compile each time and I haven't found an easy way to keep incremental versions of a program.

Any ideas?

Does this drag & drop method have a name that I should know about?

Thanks

Baldi

I haven't found an easy way to keep incremental versions of a program.

Do you know git (https://git-scm.com)?

Is there any way that this can be implemented for Arduino?

Does that drag-and-drop feature work on all major OS platforms? The way the IDE does it, provides more flexibility in the connection methods. As in the Arduino world not only one connection method exists the drag-and-drop feature would be limited to the USB types. Everything is possible if there is enough interest. Maybe you volunteer (this is all open source) to write such an application? It's not very complicated but I don't see a real advantage so I won't invest any time in writing such a feature.

Thanks Pylon

I don't know if the D&D works on all major platforms but I guess that it does since the Micro:Bit was distributed to every 12yo schoolkid in the UK last year. It is supposed to make coding easy and fun to learn.

I would love to be able to write such an application myself but my understanding of the issues simply does not exist. I just feel that it should be a simple method of loading a program that methodologically very similar to running an executable on a PC.

Baldi

s there any way that this can be implemented for Arduino?

In a word, “no.”
The common arduinos lack both software and hardware that would make this possible.
I guess it would theoretically be possible on some of the newer boards, like the mkr series, but then they’d be “different”

The compiler for AVR processors outputs a HEX file, which you can save to wherever you like. Loading a HEX file into the on-board FLASH requires a single command line, running avrdude, which you can see by turning on verbose compile. Put that command line, with a few edits, in a Batch file, and you can upload the HEX file to the board by simply running the batch file.

Regards,
Ray L.

pylon:
Do you know git (https://git-scm.com)?

I don't like Git. My brain doesn't work that way. I store all of my Arduino stuff in a Subversion repository. It does the same thing; it just starts from a different concept.

With some Arduino-based devices, I've downloaded the hex file off the device and saved it in Subversion. Then I have a backup of what was on it when it was delivered. With only a little command-line effort, I can put that file back onto the device.