drive 4 stepper motors with 0-10V signal

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and to arduino/genuino. I live in Belgium and I'm working on a little hobby-project.
I have knowledge in mechanical construction and electricity, but only basics in electronics.

I have 4 belt-driven liniar slides wich I want to control by stepper motors. The slides have a range of 1 meter. Each 360° turn of the motor will move the slide by 5 centimeters, so to make a complete movenemt of the slide I will need 20 rotations of the stepper motor.

I want to generate a signal of 0 to 10V to determine the position of the slides. When the signal reaches 10V it will instantly start again from 0. Each cycle will take 10 hours of time, so the movement of the slides will be verry slow. When the voltage stay the same value the slide needs to stand stil.

the position of the slides will be as discribed below;

slide 1:
0V-2.5V: slide moves out from 0% to 100%
2.5V - 5V: slide stays at 100%
5.V- 7.5V: slide moves in to 0%
7.5V - 10V: slide stays at 0%

slide 2:
2.5V-5V: slide moves out from 0% to 100%
5V - 7.5V: slide stays at 100%
7.5V- 10V: slide moves in to 0%
0V - 2.5V: slide stays at 0%

slide 3:
5V - 7.5V: slide moves out from 0% to 100%
7.5V - 10V: slide stays at 100%
10V- 2.5V: slide moves in to 0%
2.5V - 5V: slide stays at 0%

slide 4:
7.5V - 10V: slide moves out from 0% to 100%
0V - 2.5V: slide stays at 100%
2.5V- 5V: slide moves in to 0%
5V - 7.5V: slide stays at 0%

For example on slide 1: When the voltage is 1,25V the position of the slide needs to be 50% of its total reach. When the voltage stays at 1.25V the position needs to stay in 50% of its reach.

For some people this will be simple, but for me it isn't. Can I get some tips from your side? Wich Arduino/genuino parts do I need to buy to realize this?
I want to buy the parts and start learning to program.

All of your help will be welcome.

Thanks a lot !! :wink:

I want to generate a signal of 0 to 10V to determine the position of the slides.

Why? The Arduino can only read 0 to 5V. It won't have anything to do with generating the signal.

Stepping motors, if used properly, move to the commanded position.

There is no need to generate a voltage to control position, just send "step" commands to have the motors move as required.

thanks for the advice.

If the arduino only can read 0-5V this is no problem. I can change the potentiometer in the device that is generating the voltage signal. So it will be easy to have a 0-5V signal.

My problem is I always have to start from a voltage-signal. To control the stepper-motors I need to transate the 0-5V signal to "step" commands.

Will this be possible with arduino? If I know it can be possible I can buy the parts and the book to start learning arduino.

To make some things clear; the 0-10V or the 0-5V signal will be generated by the orientation of the sun. I'm trying to make a solar-heating device with mirrors directed to 1 point to heat an heat-exchanger for ecologic home warming. You have to do something as a hobby :wink:

Yes, the Arduino can easily read 0-5V signals with the ADC, which translates the voltages into values ranging from 0 to 1023.

Based on those values, your program can then make decisions about how to move the steppers.

There are many simple examples included with the Arduino software that will teach you to use the ADC, make decisions, etc. Many other tutorials on this forum and elsewhere teach about how to use stepping motors, etc.

Finally, to run four stepping motors will require four motor drivers and a substantial power supply. Don't try to power any motors from the Arduino directly.

Sounds like a fun project!