Drive a 3 wire Coil on Plug (Ignition Coil) using a +5V trigger signal

Hello,

I would like to drive three wire CoP (Coil Over plug) Ign coils using a +5V trigger signal. The coils are from a 2.5L 4 cyl Nissan Altima and given the different variety of coils in the market I'm not sure if I need optocouplers to isolate the coil's +5V trigger with the Digital I/O or Analog I/O pins on the controller.

If an optocoupler is recommended, what criteria is supposed to be used as a good practice while selecting them (I'm not from a EE background)?

Any recommendations and technical know how would be deeply appreciated.

Best regards,

DieselHead: Hello,

I would like to drive three wire CoP (Coil Over plug) Ign coils using a +5V trigger signal. The coils are from a 2.5L 4 cyl Nissan Altima and given the different variety of coils in the market I'm not sure if I need optocouplers to isolate the coil's +5V trigger with the Digital I/O or Analog I/O pins on the controller.

If an optocoupler is recommended, what criteria is supposed to be used as a good practice while selecting them (I'm not from a EE background)?

Any recommendations and technical know how would be deeply appreciated.

Best regards,

Your terminology confuses me. An Arduino cannot "drive" and ignition coil device. It is able to, perhaps, control something. If you mean control, then you must have already determined the coil can be controlled by a 5 volt signal. If so, then what is the problem with trying out your project?

Paul

Thanks a lot for your reply.

What I'm trying to understand is that if an optocoupler is deemed necessary between the coil control trigger (+5V) and the Arduino output signal of +5V?

DieselHead: Thanks a lot for your reply.

What I'm trying to understand is that if an optocoupler is deemed necessary between the coil control trigger (+5V) and the Arduino output signal of +5V?

But why do think it might? An opto coupler will slow down any pulse required by the coils electronics and will invert the logic of the Arduino signal.

Paul

Paul_KD7HB: But why do think it might? An opto coupler will slow down any pulse required by the coils electronics and will invert the logic of the Arduino signal.

Paul

Hello Paul,

I was thinking that it would provide an added layer of protection for my Arduino in terms of keeping the control side isolated from the Ignition coil circuit which carries high voltage. However, since you mentioned that optocouplers will increase the overall response time, thereby having a significant effect on the ignition timing at higher engine speeds, I'll reconsider my decision of using them.

Thanks once again for providing the information.

Best Regards,

Do you have a wiring diagram for that car so we can see how the coil is factory wired? I would think the coil would be triggered by breaking a 12V circuit, but, ?

Hello at some point did you manage to finish the project? Could you help me and upload diagrams of how I want to do the same with a honda civic