Drive a low-z solonoid injector by l298

hello everybody I have a l298 shield for arduino and want to drive a low-z solonoid injector. Is there possible to drive it by l298?

Possibly. Have you matched the power required by the solenoid to the power supplied by the I298?

Paul

dara1400: hello everybody I have a l298 shield for arduino and want to drive a low-z solonoid injector. Is there possible to drive it by l298?

It's 'possible' .... but that possibility depends on how this solenoid is meant to be driven. Eg... what level of current do you want to put through the solenoid? You want to just put a constant amount of current through the solenoid?

Also..... do you mean a 'driving solenoid'? Or a 'driving a solenoid injector'? The question is due to .... what does 'DRIVING a solenoid injector' mean?

Low-z slenoid. What does that mean. How low. And what voltage is needed.

A chip with a typical source saturation of 2volt@2Amp (= voltage loss and heat) could be a poor choice. Might be better to use a logic level mosfet.

Post datasheet of the solenoid. Leo..

thank you all
The title of this project is changing the control system of one cylinder diesel engine from the mechanical to the common rail Ecu based. The Mecanical fueling system will be replace by HPCRIS ( high pressure common rail injection system ).

The common rail used in this project belonged to a 4 cylinders engine with solenoid injectors. but in our project we use one injector.

all of our instruments is made by Bosch company. you know Bosch. They print no datasheets publicly.
This is the picture of the ecu which drive the same injector:

You need to find out the drive waveform for the solenoid - its probably not simple and bipolar if this is heavily optimized for speed (which injectors are).

dara1400: thank you all The title of this project is changing the control system of one cylinder diesel engine from the mechanical to the common rail Ecu based. The Mecanical fueling system will be replace by HPCRIS ( high pressure common rail injection system ).

The common rail used in this project belonged to a 4 cylinders engine with solenoid injectors. but in our project we use one injector.

all of our instruments is made by Bosch company. you know Bosch. They print no datasheets publicly. This is the picture of the ecu which drive the same injector:

The injectors may do multiple injections per firing sequence. I believe that is what Bosch does in my VW Jetta TDI.

Paul

Hi, You are going to be controlling a very special injector, that is designed for HIGH pressure operation. You should be googling Injector Drivers

An L298 will not be suitable, you need to research the electrical characteristics of injectors and how to control them.

Current control is one of the important criteria.

It looks like you are trying to minimise costs using a 298, you need to spend the extra time and money to get the correct device, to save you a lot of time and trouble.

An Arduino can possibly do the controlling, but the driving will need some more looking.

Can you tell us your electronics, programming, Arduino, hardware experience?

Thanks.. Tom.. :)

I’ve worked with typical automotive fuel injectors before direct injection was common. Many (most) require a high current to actuate then a lower current to hold them open (else they overheat). Typically they were injecting at 5 bar pressure. We used the LM1949 (with associated components) for out test stands.

With direct injection pressures of 10 to 14 bar have to be controlled. Not sure but its likely the injectors would need two step current as well. I would expect higher currents.

Hope this gets you in a good direction.

John

I found out that this IC is the driver:

I also found a distributor to buy from. But I cant find any datasheet of this IC

Would you help me?

Best regards

The number you found (30520) is a Bosch specialized IC used in their ECU. I doubt you will be able get an useful information unless you know somebody in Bosch (maybe Mercedes) engineering department(s).

John

Hi,
Check the attachment.
Also

Tom… :slight_smile:

lm1949.pdf (786 KB)

modern diesel common rail systems run at up to 700 bar.

you'll need a modern injector and it''s recommended driver device to do this.

Allan

Since you have provided no LOAD SPECS, I don't see how anyone can answer the question you posted about using the L298. There is no schematic and no timing or load criteria so you are not giving us much to go on. If , for example, you had posted:

"I have an application where I want to drive a solenoid with the following current and timing specifications with an L298.

[SPECS]

"Is this feasible ?"

then maybe we would be in a position to make a determination.

"Low-Z" is meaningless , in electronics. It's all relative. What the heck does "Low-Z" mean ? (in TERMS OF CURRENT DRAW )

modern diesel common rail systems run at up to 700 bar.

That's 10152.6 PSI...(FYI) CONVERT BAR to PSI

Remember this is part of Bosch’s core intellectual property, they would only release detailed
specifications under a stringent non-disclosure agreement to people or organizations they
trust to protect their interests.

I suspect the drive waveform is high voltage, high current, and bipolar.

Of course if you own such an injector system and happen to stick some test equipment on the
thing, who would know?

It looks to me like there is a great deal of RESEARCH missing from this R&D... Maybe you should just drop the 'R' and call it 'D' or r&D.. This isn't your typical weekend arduino project. Using an L298 (one of the cheapest H/bridge drivers on the web (The L293 being the cheapest) to hack a BOSCH fuel injector sounds like a kludge at the very least. Where are the engineering specs ? Stating the application without the specs asking too much (if you ask me) This plan sounds half baked.

Thanks all of you. Yes I will need the injector datasheet to pick a proper drive. but as you said the bosch dosnt reveal any.

I am going to bring a common rail car and use an osiloscop to record the waveform

what do you think?

Will be interesting - make sure you don't exceed the 'scope input voltage rating - if we don't know the waveform we don't know how large the voltages are. A HV scope probe in the first instance might be a wise precaution.

A Tek diff probe (760+ V) would be a starting point.

This is my injector serial number: 0445110 355