Drive Base

Hello everyone,

I am building a large drive base with four wheels. Its needs a lot of torque so I plan to use the nema 23 stepper motors. I have researched various dc and stepper motors and the nema 23 seems to be the best option. It provides plenty of torque and it is the most affordable. The only downside is that stepper motors should not be used for continuous rotation. Should I use the nema 23 motors or should I use something else?

namanagarw:
Hello everyone,

I am building a large drive base with four wheels. Its needs a lot of torque so I plan to use the nema 23 stepper motors. I have researched various dc and stepper motors and the nema 23 seems to be the best option. It provides plenty of torque and it is the most affordable. The only downside is that stepper motors should not be used for continuous rotation. Should I use the nema 23 motors or should I use something else?

You are continuing the myth that nema 23 means something other than the mounting dimension for the motor.

The torque of the motor can only be found in the data supplied by the manufacturer and you need to search for the proper motor based on that, not the mounting of the motor.

Stepper motors are designed for continuous use. They get hot because they always consume nearly the same current whether moving or holding still. They all need some type of heat sinking, usually the mounting structure, to control the heat. A good stepper motor can be used continuously.

Good luck with your project.

Paul

The links are in OP's cross-post.