Driver in Installer

I am creating a program which needs to communicate with an Arduino; however, I cannot guarantee that the users will have the drivers installed. Is there a way to package the drivers in my own installer?

maths22:
I am creating a program which needs to communicate with an Arduino; however, I cannot guarantee that the users will have the drivers installed. Is there a way to package the drivers in my own installer?

You haven't said what programming language you are using or what operating system.

On Linux (and Mac, I suspect) no drivers are needed to allow communication with an Arduino board (or they are already part of the OS). But perhaps you are using the inferior OS.

...R

I am using Windows because I need to interface with another program that is Windows only. The communication is working fine; I just need to figure out which files to include in my installer such that the driver is installed on the user's machine.

I just need to figure out which files to include in my installer such that the driver is installed on the user's machine.

How did YOU install the driver(s)? They are NOT installed automatically. The process you used should give you some clues.

PaulS:
How did YOU install the driver(s)? They are NOT installed automatically. The process you used should give you some clues.

I think the OP is asking whether there is some way he can include the Arduino drivers in a package (along with a PC program he is writing) so that when he distributes it the end-user will be able to get it to work without having to know how to install Arduino drivers.

I'm using Linux and am completely out of touch with Windows so I can't help.

...R

I think the OP is asking whether there is some way he can include the Arduino drivers in a package (along with a PC program he is writing) so that when he distributes it the end-user will be able to get it to work without having to know how to install Arduino drivers.

Exactly. Thank you for finding a better way to express it. I want to have 1 installer, and I don't want to make people install the Arduino IDE when they don't need it (otherwise I could just wrap that installer in my own).

I agree. The process of installing the necessary drivers is well documented on the Getting Started page (for Windows). If OP can't follow that process and figure out what files are needed, then perhaps he/she is not ready to be writing installers.

Frankly, providing a link to the appropriate Getting Started page makes more sense to me than delivering necessary drivers for all Arduinos that need them. Let the end user of the application install, in a well documented fashion, the drivers he/she needs.

PaulS:
Let the end user of the application install, in a well documented fashion, the drivers he/she needs.

Perhaps this is a subject on which we should agree to disagree ...

I have to say I feel very strongly that an end-user should be able to acquire a software product or a combination of hardware and software and be able to use it without having the slightest knowledge of the underlying technology on his/her PC.

My ideal is
copy the directory to the PC
browse to the directory with file manager
double-click the "start me" file

A slightly less optimal approach is
double-click "install-me"
double-click "start-me"

Unfortunately I don't know enough about Windows to know if it is possible to include Arduino drivers in the OPs application.

I suspect it is possible based on the fact that the Java JSSC serial port library includes the binary files for Windows, MAC and Linux in its JAR file and no install process is required.

...R

I have to say I feel very strongly that an end-user should be able to acquire a software product or a combination of hardware and software and be able to use it without having the slightest knowledge of the underlying technology on his/her PC.

That is exactly my goal. After all, when you download the Arduino IDE, the drivers are installed with it; you don't need to separately download them.

I think I have solved my problem.

BTW: the windows ideal is download->run installer->start
Most windows programs are not designed to be just copied over unless they are a single file (even then they often have an installer)

maths22:
I think I have solved my problem.

I suspect others would like to know what you did

BTW: the windows ideal is download->run installer->start
Most windows programs are not designed to be just copied over unless they are a single file (even then they often have an installer)

Copy and run should be possible with a program that uses the JVM.

...R

My installer calls dpinst with the "/Q" (quiet) flag. dpinst can be found here:

It is true that a Java program can be copied over; that is just not the general convention, although there obviously are some exceptions.

maths22:
My installer calls dpinst with the "/Q" (quiet) flag. dpinst can be found here:

I don't personally have any interest in Windows but I think that others would find it useful if you could provide a full step-by-step explanation of what you did - perhaps with a worked example.

...R