Driver/Installation help for Hummingbird Duo board

Hello Heroes,

I have a very boring basic problem. Typical of years past, the com port and drivers. I am looking to work with a kit at a new school, the Hummingbird Duo.

I have installed arduino 1.8.9 Because this is the version students have installed at the moment on the network.

I have installed the windows drivers from here for the board: Hummingbird Duo - Ardublock - Install

Arduino IDE has the Hummingbird Duo board appear and is selected and the library also have the examples in the IDE available for the device.

The problem is the com port. Arduino doesnt show com port 6 which is where I believe the device is. I try to upload to com ports 3, 4 and 5 that are available and none work.

Device manager and windows have installed the board, however in device manager the board on port 6 is hidden, I have to press view hidden devices. Com port 6 is not available at the Arduino IDE.

What am I missing and what can I do to get this device connected please?

Nobody has any troubleshooting ideas per chance?

Sorry, not being rude but I’ve never used that board, hence being unable to help and not replying. With a bit of luck we’ll find someone with experience with the problem.

In device manager, is it possible to force the board onto a different COM port number?

1 Like

I did not know you could do that. I will check it out later today. It’s definitely worth a short. Thanks.

You can clear the com stack. Search for posts by user ballscrewbob with keywords clear com stack or google it. On a cellphone at the moment and searching the forum is a mission.

@SteveThackery

I moved the com port and now, I have two com ports for Hummingbird Duo which is great. So what happened was, com port 3 is still hidden and labelled Hummingboard Duo bootloader, The com port I moved it to became Com port 7 Hummingbird Duo in Arduino Mode. The arduino mode works with a javascript program the javascript hummingbird firmware burner. I have uploaded the blindLED code and the javascript program even pops up confirming the upload.

I am now adjusting the delay to upload again and it's just a bit finicky Arduino is saying perhaps press reset after pressing upload anyway. That is a huge success we have made one upload hooray.

Thank you so much.

1 Like

I still need help,

Ok so yesterday, hummingbird java app lets me know the board is connected and should be blinking now instead of fading and it does. Arduino IDE has identified the port and the board in brackets, now I try to update the delay and send blink updated to the board. I updated the com ports to 102 and 101 which is where I have the arduino set too. 101 for hummingbird duo in arduino mode and 102 for arduino bootloader.

the error I receive is:

avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\.\COM4": The system cannot find the file specified.

I did some googling and they mention adjusting the com settings in the preferences.txt file. I tried using 101 and 102, however the error still occurs for either 101 or 102:

avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\.\COM102": The system cannot find the file specified.

Also when I press upload I watched the device manager and when the IDE is attempting to compile, port 102 bootloader becomes ungreyed for a few seconds and then 101 comes back to ungreyed replacing it (exactly like pressing the reset button, which I assume is also a good thing, its attempting to send the information)

Any ideas? I can see I am so close now.

Any last troubleshooting ideas peeps? The last one definitely helped me get closer. It might be our stringent network here at school.

Error: avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\.\COM4": The system cannot find the file specified.

Solution:
1.Open your device manager
2.Open up ,Ports(COM & LPT), USB Serial Device (COM)
and here you can rename or change your COM port name as 'COM 4'
3.Right click on the USB Serial Device (COM)
and properties and Port Settings 'Option' Advanced , here you
can change the Your COM port NO as what you want.
4. After Done Plug out and Plug in your USB.
5. Done , you can upload and your project now with out COM 4
Error

@mohanraj02

Yeah I have that fixed. It's attempting to send the information, you can read my error above.