Driver installation trouble

Hello, I am completely new to arduino, receiving mine in as part of a Creation Crate. I have been trying everything I can think of to get my laptop to install the drivers but to no avail.

I am using windows vista. I have installed arduino, and plugged in my arduino UNO. As expected windows failed to install drivers, so I went to device manager, found my unknown USB2.0-serial, clicked update drivers, and pointed it at C:\Program Files\Arduino\drivers\ but I got the response "Windows was unable to install your USB2.0-serial, windows could not find driver software for your device.

I then drived extracting the old driver zip file within the drivers file, on the off change my older system needed something from there/ couldn't find it in zipped state, but I got the same response. I then tried unticking the "read only" box for the arduino folder within program files, again same response. I tried placing the driver folder on my desktop, I tried renaming the driver file by putting an explicit ".inf" at the end of it, and I tried installing an older version of arduino, and repeating my flailing attempts at trouble shooting, along with googling the problem, but each time device manager tells me it cannot find drivers for my device. I also tried it on my girlfriend's windows 8 laptop, and again windows told me the same!

I would appreciate any help it this very much!

Thanks

(deleted)

Hi, I apologise but I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for, this is my first attempt at stuff like this! Do you mean Something on the arduino itself? There is "12.000" and " HDM, CH34DG, 202685510" written by the USB connector.

(deleted)

OK, that worked! Thanks a lot for your help; the board came in a kit for building a mood lamp, and I foolishly assumed it must be a genuine one. Thanks again!

(deleted)