Driver upload without run setup.exe?

Hello, I own a clone Arduino Uno and a nano, which both are not recognized as they miss the same driver.
this is the CH340 driver. I know the location to install but I miss admin rights.
However I am using Arduino software without installation, as well, using the option for non-admin installation.
All Arduino drivers are in the format of dll files without the need to run a setup.exe.
How could it be done to include the driver for that chip as well, with the same way?

Thank you
Dimitris

Without admin rights you could face a struggle in windows. (if that is what you are using) ?
Its sounds like you are running the ide in “portable” mode ?

Could you take a few moments to Learn How To Use The Forum.
It will help you get the best out of the forum in the future.

Posting tips.

• Always list the version of the IDE you are using and the board version if applicable.
  • Remember to mention the actual board you are using.
  • How to insert an image into your post. ( Thanks Robin2 )
  • Add your sketch where applicable but please use CODE TAGS ( </> )
  • Add a SCHEMATIC were needed even if it is hand drawn
  • Add working links to any specific hardware as needed (NOT links to similar items)
  • Guessing is not the best way to describe an issue. Actual facts are the most important.
  • Remember that the people trying to help cannot see your problem so give as much information as you can

Hi,

Assuming you have a Windows PC, you would need to find all of the .DLLs, maybe in the 'CH341SER.ZIP' file from http://www.wch.cn/download/CH341SER_ZIP.html.

Copy the .DLLs to the windows/system32 folder and then install each one using 'regsvr32'.

It's a bit of a fiddle making it work this way though and you may need to do some google searching.

Why can't you get Admin Rights? Is it a work PC?

Peter

Thank you both,

@Peter, when I try to use regsvr32 command it reports the message "the entry point DIIRRegisterServer was not found. Make sure this is a valid DLL".

Looking at Microsoft help it specifies that this is going to make changes to the registry, thus cannot be allowed to run. Needs admin rights.

Yes, this is a work PC. I need to provide a justification to the administrator. Will not work.

So it is still a dll that needs to make changes to the registry but others do not?

Some drivers are fully registered with microsoft and some are not.
AFAIK the official Arduino ones are registered.

That could explain what you are seeing.

Hi,

Ah, I didn’t think of that.

I worked in IT (voice and data networks) so I’ve always had admin rights on everything.

This has exhausted my knowledge of PCs, from this point on I’d have to poke around with google searches looking for a solution.

Would it find the .dll if it was in the same folder as .exe?

Sorry.

Peter

Is is doubtful that it would find what it needs without adding the registry keys etc.

As an EX IT (rollouts and data recovery to mention just two) there are ways around the "admin" problem.
However I cannot in all conscience provide that information.

You may want to ask your IT department for some elevated privs for your issue.
Especially if it is "work related" :smiling_imp:

Hi,

It may be easier to take a personal laptop or tablet PC into work.

Or possibly have Win 10 on a memory stick or SSD with a SATA to USB connection and boot from that in your lunch time...assuming you're allowed to use the USB ports (they're sometimes locked out too).

Win 10 licence keys are available on ebay now for less than 2 pounds (Sterling).

Peter

Peterd51:
Hi,

It may be easier to take a personal laptop or tablet PC into work.

Or possibly have Win 10 on a memory stick or SSD with a SATA to USB connection and boot from that in your lunch time...assuming you're allowed to use the USB ports (they're sometimes locked out too).

Win 10 licence keys are available on ebay now for less than 2 pounds (Sterling).

Peter

There are still 100% legitimate methods to upgrade 7 or 8 to 10 totally free and with microsoft's blessing.

If you do not have admin privs, you cannot install the drivers, or most other things.

If the use of arduino is related to your work, get IT to do it. If they don't, complain to your boss about IT failing to provide you the support you need to do your job.

If it's not, then why are you using a work PC instead of your own PC for arduino work? Computers suitable for arduino work are basically free nowadays, seeing as arduino (until latest version, and I suspect being fixed in a future release) runs on windows XP - you can get working XP laptops for free at the e-waste trailer at your local dump (and pirated copies of XP don't have activation like later versions do - the product key I memorized back in highschool still works - and since the laptops all came with XP when they were made, you have the moral - if not legal - high ground if you use a pirated copy to install a clean copy of the OS)

ballscrewbob:
There are still 100% legitimate methods to upgrade 7 or 8 to 10 totally free and with microsoft's blessing.

Interested to learn what this is called so I can search for it. I still have a win8 pc that I forgot to upgrade to win10 before the free upgrade window closed, and windows 8 is just agonizing to use.

PM sent for upgrade methods.

ballscrewbob:

Thanks for the hint. Did it yesterday.

Some small compatibility issues (no idea what they exactly indicate but can work around them) and one driver issue (HASP, not arduino related). Working my way through them as I encounter them.