Drivers wont install

Been considering migrating to arduino fro pic for some time. Plucked up courage, ordered uno and mega 2560 for Christmas. Beginning to think I’ve made a mistake. First thing I try to do (install drivers) has failed. I followed the official instructions anf have searched the web and this forum and tried out pretty well all of the solutions without success. I know the boards are OK because they work on an old laptop with good old XP. It doesn’t seem to me to auger well for the system if even the install wont work. Have I reaaly just got to chuck thes things away. As you can probably tell I am very frustrated after hours of fruitless effort just to get the thing started. The message I get, incidentally when trying to install is the following :
Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.
Arduino UNO
The system cannot find the file specified.

If you know the manufacturer of your device, you can visit its website and check the support section for the driver software.

I tried looking for usbser.sys which I found in a different file to that quoted on another post and copied it to the windows system32/drivers folder. Still no result. If anyone has any helpful suggestions I would greatly appreciate it as at present \i just think I may have made a huge mistake buying this stuff.

Good decision to go away from evil pic empire and support arduino :) I have made an automated installer so maybe your transition your can go smooth: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,118440.0.html

If your XP is up to date you will only require to double click the installer otherwise, you may need to install the framework 4.0 from windows update (not for arduino but for some small enhancements I added to the ide)

So i got the same problem as the other guy, does that download solve the problem of the device drivers not being signed by the publisher?

tonyrogers10195: So i got the same problem as the other guy, does that download solve the problem of the device drivers not being signed by the publisher?

No, we need Arduino project to pay these signatures. If you are in Windows 8 x64 you need to do what appears in the list of "enhancements" in my post (basically disable the forced signature mode in Windows) or look for the options here in this forum.

Hi Thanks for the response. Downloaded and installed your improved IDE but it still wont install the UNO driver. The uno still appears as unknown device with no driver. I have tried reinstall driver and selected the driver file from the new folder. Still no go. Since I am running Windows 7 (to my great regret) on this desktop I tried to install MS Framework 4.0 Since it attempted to repair it and the hung on me that doesn't seem much good either. I must say I am surprised that a system I have read so much about - Its ease of use for non electronics/non computer people - falls at the first hurdle. Whilst far from being expert I work with computers quite a bit and this is the first program I can remember which just plain don't work... Even all the PIC stuff has worked first time. All very disappointing.

The Arduino "drivers" are just a simple INF file. Encountering a large amount of issues is atypical and usually related to some conflict on the PC itself.

DavidFMarks: I tried to install MS Framework 4.0

What is that?

DavidFMarks: all the PIC stuff has worked first time. All very disappointing.

Every Arduino board I have used worked the first time I plugged it into whatever computer I plugged it into. One experience (yours or mine) does not represent the whole.

Just to verify, where did you buy your boards from?

Guess I’m just unlucky. Bought the boards (UNO and MEGA) from reputable UK Supplier and both of them work on my windows 7 laptop and on an old Windows XP laptop.
Just a pity that they wont fire up on the desktop. I’m sure too that the arduino is a brilliant system. It’s just that after several hours without even getting started its a bit frustrating for an already grumpy old man. (Edison and Faraday were in short trousers when I started in this game !)

So, you have two other systems that the boards work on, and you're still blaming the Arduino?

I would think you have learned a little bit of troubleshooting theory haven't you?

If your expectation that a prototyping system is going to work every time, all the time, then I don't think any platform is going to satisfy you. (Which of course now is the part where you say: "But my pic NEVER gave me any problems.")

It's a fair cop guv'nor ! You got me there !

Well, I came from PIC experience and mine was exactly the reverse one.

If Framework 4 “repair” pops that means it was already installed, so ignore it. After you install my mod, in the installer check all the boards you have. After that launch Arduino from the Start menu, not the zip folder. Everything should go smoothly after that if your board works correctly in another machine. If not, it might be broken. (or be a cheap clone)

Back when i was doing usb driver develoment and XP was new, XP use to have a inf folder inside of windows\system\drivers\inf\ (or something similar) that kept the INFs for all USB devices. I'm not sure where 7 would store the same thing.

Maybe see if there is a inf file containing the word "Arduino" or "Uno" lingering around. That should make device manager think it is a new device being plugged in.

To be honest my PIC experience overall wasn't brillaint - frequently found myself poised on the ledges of tall buildings. Boards ppear to be genuine arduino and both work OK on two other computers. Not sure what you mean by "in the installer check all the boards you have". I tried running the IDE from Start menu but no joy

DavidFMarks:
To be honest my PIC experience overall wasn’t brillaint - frequently found myself poised on the ledges of tall buildings. Boards ppear to be genuine arduino and both work OK on two other computers. Not sure what you mean by “in the installer check all the boards you have”. I tried running the IDE from Start menu but no joy

1. Arduino does not provides an automated installer, what James is saying to you is the official way to do it, you read how to set the drivers, uncompress the ide, etc

2. http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,118440.0.html this is an unnoficial installer that tries to do everything automatically, this is what I am offering to you

3. Install it as any Windows program, at the end of the installation a window will pop asking you about the drivers, it looks like this: http://content.screencast.com/users/erwinried/folders/Jing/media/53fd6e1f-48b3-47f6-8cb9-a3785e6d2129/2012-09-25_1750.png

4. You check there the boards you have, after that your arduino should be installed automatically by Windows

5. That’s all, now open the IDE from the link in the start menu (I try to keep the setup up to date but you should check http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,118440.0.html once a while to see if there is a new version)

Have re downloaded your automatic installer , extracted it., selected about 5 drivers (including the two boards which I have and the program then tells me that they are installed OK. However they do not seem to be. The device manager still displays unknown device (with no driver). Again if I then try to update the driver and select the driver folder I get the original error message. If I try to upload a sketch (i.e. Blink it compiles OK then when it gets to upload it simply hangs !

I seem to be getting absolutely nowhere installing drivers for the UNO. I think I have now tried every suggestion on this forum (and other sites) to no avail.The situation is now as follows : When the UNO is plugged in the windows 7 system fails to detect it. Looking in device manager there is an unknown device. I select this and then "reinstall driver" browsing to the directory where the .inf file resides (I have checked that this file is in fact there. I get the following response: Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it. Arduino UNO. There is no driver selected for the device information set or element. I know that the board works OK on two other computers (one of which is running windows 7) But I would have thought that it should also run on this one which has always installed all other programs satisfactorily.

Look for the setupapi.dev.log file in your Windows folder.

Open with a text editor and go toward the end of the file. The last sections should indicate what errors are encountered during the .inf installation.

You should see a section that begins with something similar to this:

[Device Install (Hardware initiated) - USB...

I think there is a last chance: your Windows 7 is a modified/"optimized" version, so it does not contains all the required files, there are posts about this issue, also setupapi file can help to diagnose the problem.