driving a pieze buzzer

I found a bunch of piezo buzzers in cases in Eagle.
Can these be driven with a simple AC coupled driver, like a speaker?
Am trying to find data sheets there, not getting any hits for the eagle listed part #s, such as F/DB18.

There being www.buerklin.com, forgot to paste that in.

Thanks
Robert

piezo_driver.jpg

CrossRoads,

What buzzer do you have in hand? I think some buzzers and made to buzz with a DC voltage applied to them. They don't sound so good if you use AC to drive them at frequency other than their internal frequency. Could be a simple RCL circuit inside the buzzer. Other buzzers are just piezo or electromagnets. They love being driven by AC. You just have to add a serial resistor for the electromagnet types or they burn out your transistor. Piezos are alright I think. There won't be a current through piezos when they work.

You just have to add a serial resistor for the electromagnet types or they burn out your transistor

Not with that arrangement the current is limited by R20. It look fine to me, you might have to up the capacitor value if it is not loud enough and / or drop the value of R20.

Grumpy_Mike:

You just have to add a serial resistor for the electromagnet types or they burn out your transistor

Not with that arrangement the current is limited by R20. It look fine to me, you might have to up the capacitor value if it is not loud enough and / or drop the value of R20.

:sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: I didn't know I was going blind.