driving multiple WS2812B with Arduino - performances question

Hey !

I've been using WS2812B for a while now, using Adafruit's Neopixel library. Normally, it's only a few dozen LED, and it works fine.

I'm working on some sort of score display panel. It will have a couple of section that will use WS2812B. The way I envision it, one main CPU will handle the "logic" associated to the main action, and will communicate to each section, telling them what to do, what to display over I2C.

The main section of the display will use an array of 48 x 16 LEDs (or 2 x 24x16). Other than the scores themselves, there will be some animations. That's a total of 768 WS2812B LEDs.

My plan is to read those animations from an SD card.

Now my question is: does a Mega (or Nano/Uno) have the "horsepower" to drive that many WS2812B, while having a little bit of "loose" to read the card and handle the data ?

Would it be more efficient to use 2 pins to each drive their half of the panel ? Or 4 pins ?

if not, I have a Teensy (never tried it yet) that I could use. Any one has ever "played" with a Teensy vs WS2812b and vs I2C ? is it pretty much similar to an Arduino to program ? Same libraries can be used ?

Thanks !

Now my question is: does a Mega (or Nano/Uno) have the "horsepower" to drive that many WS2812B, while having a little bit of "loose" to read the card and handle the data ?

A Mega might work but an ATmega328 based Arduino (Nano/UNO) simply doesn't have enough RAM to store the color values. Also keep in mind that to access the SD card you need a buffer of 512 bytes that you cannot use for other tasks.

Good point about the memory !

Thanks !