Driving P channel Mosfet

I dont think a manufacturer as well known as Analog Devices would post something bs

Hi,
If I was making a high power, audio visual, TV studio, 10,000 spectator sports arena, then some of that data in the link would matter.

From that link, they don't actually give an example of audio noise from LED lighting.
High power LEDs and High Power supplies, the noise would be from the inductors in the SMPS, not the LEDs.

The human ear perceives vibrations up to about 20kHz, which in some applications can become the important factor in determining PWM frequency. The versatile LT3755 and LT3756 are members of an elite group of LED controllers that can support very high PWM dimming ratios, as much as 50:1, at 20kHz. These controllers support a variety of topologies, including buck mode, boost and buck-boost at various power levels.

They don't give an example.
They say;

which in some applications can become the important factor in determining PWM frequency

Which some applications?

They just go into pushing their product and how it overcomes the problems of high frequency PWM.

Tom... :smiley: :+1: :coffee: :australia:
PS, Have you built any hardware yet, breadboarded your project?
PPS, If I was writing that link for my lecturer, it would be thrown back and told to cite examples, basic report practice.

64 PWM steps is not 63 equal brightness steps.

100kHz PWM @ 6-bit could be a 156ns pulse.
Can your mosfet/driver switch in <= 156/2= 78ns?
Leo..

That's because standard MOSFETs want 12V of drive. Perhaps upto 15V at a pinch.

Is it possible to ask the forum participants, if anyone has heard how the LEDs "sing", let them tell us.
I've never heard of it before.

The ceramic capacitors on the LED chips could make noise.
But for that you could try to lower the PWM frequency.

I PWM my LED downlights (PCA9685) currently at 400Hz (12-bit dimming),
because the supply is too noisy at >800Hz.
I only can see some strobing if I drop well below 200Hz.
Leo..

Yes that is actually the thing that i did not want, as the power supply would be in the same room as the led strips. I did not mean the LEDs "singing" as i have never heared of that happening too.

Not yet, im trying to make a circuit that on paper will work first so atleast the first prototype has a chance of working. although parts are relatively cheap , shipping is not.

I could not remember what was the value i came up with that mosfet, since then i have found a better mosfet which has a turn on-off delay of 10ns and 30ns respectivly. That should be plenty of time for 100KHz PWM

you gave me an idea, the arduino board zero i am using alone cant drive the pmos aside from its 3.3v 5ma GPIO a level translator is a needed.

if my target is 1MHz the time between rise and fall is 500ns, I think the mosfet should be able to transistion from high to low of atleast 1/10 of that time so assuming a gate current of 3A it should be doable as the datasheet of the new PMOS has a propagation time of at wors 40ns. There are many 3.3v logic NMOS than can handle more than 3A. The new circuit would be like this i guess

Ps: R1 has the wrong value should be much lower to achieve 3A (8 ohms for 24v).

Well lowering the frequency would be much simpler if the circuit can do 100kHz :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

If you set PWM to 50% (~70% of max brightness), then you have HIGH/LOW times of 500ns.
The fet must of course switch much faster than that to preserve a square wave.
Shorter times (HIGH or LOW) is when PWM is not 50%.
6-bit dimming demands 64 times shorter switching times.
8-bit dimming is already poor. 6-bit dimming could be almost useless. You can't dim very low.
That's why I use 12-bit dimming (with an 8-bit lookup table).
Leo..

I think there is a misunderstanding here i still am going for 100kHz PWM, with 10 dimming levels (not 100* my bad for saying 100 earlier) so the fastest i need to switch is during the 10% where after going high, its immediately followed by a LOW 1000ns after (1MHz),

and since audible freuquency is upto 20kHz i have a very large buffer to slow the frequency down if it turns out the mosfet is very slow.

Hm, unfortunately those 3A will flow through M1 when M1 is turned on, and doing nothing except degrading efficiency of your circuit.

Finally I understand what you mean by 1MHz. The PWM frequency is always 100kHz, but you want to vary the duty cycle from 10% a steps of 10%.
Have you considered a voltage controlled current source (via PWM of lower frequency and low pass filter). No noise, no EMI, simple constant current. Matter of fact, the principle of constant current driven LEDs is also used in professional LED dimmers, also because they do not flicker at all. Disadvantage is higher effort in electronics - or also efficency when done with linear circuits.

I will be driving digital leds strip too constant current will be a problem for them since the voltage will vary by a lot , and i need them to be switched off, because on my testing with the strips i have they consume 200mA even when programmed to be off , hence this 1 circuit catch all solution.

This thread is getting weirder.
No wonder that you were hiding this info until now.

You are going to try to PWM the supply of addressable LED strips with 1Mhz ?
Are you forgetting that they likely have 100n decoupling caps (each) across the supply.
They also could loose their settings when you PWM them (== turn them off).
Leo..

Hi,

You will be switching at a PWM Frequency of 100Khz, and want down get down to 10% duty cycle.

Tom.... :smiley: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :australia:

100kHz for LED strips will create massive amounts of EMI, <=1kHz is the sort of frequency you should thinking of using.

I figured that after #10 and called it a day.

I think you should share more details on the LED strips you want to use. 200mA current while being off seems to be quite a lot. :thinking:

You = Me? I looks as you have refered to the wrong post, isn't it? I haven't opened the thread, just providing comments and suggestions ... :grimacing: :wink:

Not if OP is using 200 addressable LEDs, with a ~1mA idle current (there are processors inside).

It could be a good idea to turn them off, high-side, if not used.
But I don't see why you should PWM addressable LEDs that are already PWM-ed themselves.
Leo..

Hi,

Sorry refering to @drakejest

Tom... :smiley: :+1: :coffee: :australia:
PS. It look like what we have is some overthinking without doing some prototyping and getting your hands dirty.

yes the length of the strips in the room is 18 meters, with 60 digital LEDs per meter (1080 leds). the 200mA idle current is for the 5 meters,

I wont PWM the digital leds, its for the 12v and 24v non addressable LED strips.

i have thought of that too, container is a metal enclosure so it would reduce emi. not that EMI emissions would matter since i wont be selling these.

I have decided to commit to this circuit as my first prototype (with some slight modifications).

In about 14days parts should arrive, whatever happens happens, It has been a great time discussing with you guys, thank you for spending time sharing your ideas.

I will update soon.