Driving stepper motor with Arduino and SN754410NE

Hi,

I am using the circuit diagram in http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/StepperBipolarCircuit (4-pin one) to control my stepper motor. However, nothing seems to be happening when I tried it out. Here is how I connected the pins, can you please validate these connections ?

1. 1,2 en pin, 3,4 en pin and V1 are all connected to pin marked as 5V on Arduino
  2. 1in, 2in connected to digital pins 2 and 3 on Arduino
  3. 3in, 4in connected to digital pins 4 and 5 on Arduino
  4. All 4 GND pins go to GND on breadboard (which in turn was connected to GND pin on Arduino)
  5. 1 out, 2out, 3 out, 4 out are connected to motor. My motor has cables labeled as 1, 2, 3 and 4 so I just connected them in that order.
  6. V2 is connected to pin marked as 5v. This is probably a big assumption I made … I don’t actually know what voltage my motor operates on as I bought it in a hobby shop and there are not data sheets for it but I am making a guess here. The motor face plate has the following:

Portescap
Malaysia
S15M020N28

I googled a bit but didn’t find anything. I checked their website and they don’t have any stepper motors that match this. Can someone help ? Regarding the connections, other than 6) does everything else look fine ? BTW, where can I find cheap and small stepper motors ? I don’t care about its torque or other things as long as I can make it rotate (just for fun).

The Arduino sketch I tried is:

#include <Stepper.h>

#define STEPS 5 // not sure about this value, just a guess

Stepper stepper(STEPS, 2, 3, 4, 5);

void setup() {
pinMode(2, OUTPUT);
pinMode(3, OUTPUT);
pinMode(4, OUTPUT);
pinMode(5, OUTPUT);
stepper.setSpeed(10); // again, 10 is randomly chosen
}

void loop()
{
stepper.step(10); // randomly chosen
delay(10000); // wait for 10 seconds
}

Thanks,
RO.

Have a look here:

http://www.portescap.com/StepperCanStack

They have 15m020 datasheet, they did forget the .pdf extension but you can open it with acrobat reader.

Hi,

Thanks for the pointer to the data sheet. I was looking for S15M020N28 as a whole, so I couldn't find it.

Can someone please check the connections as well ?

Thanks, RO.

#define STEPS 5 // not sure about this value, just a guess

steps: the number of steps in one revolution of your motor.
So the value is likely to be in the order of 100 or 200 rather than 5.

delay(10000); // wait for 10 seconds

way too long. make it half a second or remove it completely.

What happens, can you feel the motor vibrating when it is supposed to be turning?

My motor has cables labeled as 1, 2, 3 and 4 so I just connected them in that order.

You need to use a meter and identify the wires that correspond to the two coils.

I am having the same problem with mine :(