Driving unknown motor

Hello everyone, writing for some guidance on a project.

I am trying drive the motor inside an automatic watch winder with an Arduino Uno. Unfortunately, not wanting to break the wooden enclosure in which it is placed (cheap object, all glued together) I can’t seem to get any info about the motor, and thus how to approach it.

When I first tried to hook it up like a normal motor it moved for a split second on connection and then never moved again. I think it’s something to do with the voltage and amp, considering that initially it was driven by a 3V 1000mA power adaptor. The motor has a two-wire connection.

Any help on how to approach the project would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

IF the motor ran on 3 volts, why not tell us how many volts you used to kill the motor?

Paul

Hi Paul, I connected it to the 3.3V arduino pin. Could 0.3V fry a motor? I hope not!

NGranieri:
Hi Paul, I connected it to the 3.3V arduino pin. Could 0.3V fry a motor? I hope not!

No, but probably killed the Arduino 3.3 volt regulator.

Paul

How can I check without risking to blow the motor if it isn't already blown? I have plenty of arduinos I can try with.

Do you remember the dry cell batteries? AA, C, D all put out 1.5 volts. Put two in series and I bet you get about 3 volts.

Paul