dropping 5v to 3.3v voltage reg or divider?

Hey all

just trying to finish a project with my nodemcu esp-01. its a 3.3v device and my power supply is 5v 1A.

can i use a voltage divider to drop the voltage or should i use a regulator? i am only using one pin to activate a relay.

thanks in advance
rob

Use a step down converter module 5 V to 3.3 V step-down (buck) converter module.... eg. from ebay.

When a device requires a voltage 'supply' ..... avoid using voltage dividers to get the 'supply' voltage.

The reason is ---- once some substantial current flows through the voltage divider..... the voltage at the middle of the divider is going to become significantly lower than what you wanted it to be. That's what happens with a voltage divider. Also...... when an external circuit that draws a substantial amount of current from the middle of the voltage divider..... the circuit is no longer a voltage divider.... or no longer a good approximation of a voltage divider.

yeah i thought that that was the case. obviously i did some googling first but it got WAY to technical for me.

thanks heaps. local electronics store it is.. (looked on ebay. take at least 2/3 weeks to get a $1 part haha)

hahaha! yeah… ebay can sure take a while.

Southpark:
hahaha! yeah.... ebay can sure take a while.

Ebay neither sells things nor ships things. It's the sellers and they all differ. You have never bought anything from Ebay. You bought from some seller on Ebay. You have never had anything shipped to you by Ebay. It was shipped by some seller on Ebay. Some sellers ship overnight. Some ship on the backs of snails. But it is the seller that does it. You can't put that on Ebay and you can't generalize Ebay transactions like that.

Yeah...true. You are right DG. "From ebay" is like implied.... as going onto the ebay site and making a purchase through (via) the ebay site.

Southpark:
Yeah...true. You are right DG. "From ebay" is like implied.... as going onto the ebay site and making a purchase through the ebay site.

Right, but then someone says they are slow or that they have cheap knock-off parts and that's not true. They have SOME sellers who do. They have SOME sellers that are on the up and up.

Even with the implication you raise, that you just mean going to the ebay site to make your purchase, that can be misleading. Because you might say they ripped you off while I got exemplary service and the difference wasn't anything to do with ebay but the sellers there. When people mention buying stuff from there they should be mentioning which seller so others know to use them or avoid them.

What's worse is when someone uses it like a brand name. "I got a cheap ebay servo..." That tells absolutely nothing about what you've got or where you got it from. It only tells the site that hooked you up with that seller which is totally useless information.

Pololu is very reliable, usually ships the same day and they support their products.

I strongly recommend these voltage regulators. #2097 (3.3V at 300 mA, $3.95) should be fine.

Delta_G:
Even with the implication you raise, that you just mean going to the ebay site to make your purchase, that can be misleading. Because you might say they ripped you off while I got exemplary service and the difference wasn’t anything to do with ebay but the sellers there. When people mention buying stuff from there they should be mentioning which seller so others know to use them or avoid them.

I’ve only been done-in once on ebay. I’ve made nearly 700 purchases via ebay. The one time I got done was ds18b20 temperature sensors, which turned out to be transistors in disguise. It wasn’t the seller’s fault. They got done-in by whoever supplied them. Apart from that particular incident involving a particular seller, I’m very happy with items purchased through ebay. In my opinion, when I mention ebay, somebody else can do some googling and research to make a decision on a particular item. Eg…googling may lead to an arduino forum post (or some other forum post) involving a particular component from a particular seller, with maybe good remarks about it…to boost somebody’s confidence in purchasing.

For a 5 V to 3 V DC to DC converter, I’d just google “5V to 3.3V DC DC converter”, and then I do some reading/research.

Southpark:
Eg....googling may lead to an arduino forum post (or some other forum post) involving a particular component from a particular seller, with maybe good remarks about it....to boost somebody's confidence in purchasing.

The problem is that nobody ever mentions the seller. Like you just said that you got ripped off, but no mention of who ripped you off so the rest of us can avoid that seller.

Southpark:
I've made nearly 700 purchases from ebay.

No, you haven't. You've used the ebay site 700 times to buy something. You've bought from ebay sellers 700 times. But you've never bought anything from ebay.

See (read) post #5 again DG. Just limiting what I'm writing right now.....so as to not go off on a tangent from the OP's question about voltage regulator or divider.

Southpark:
See (read) post #5 again DG.

Yes, I know what you mean. But it is misleading. And untrue. It would be MUCH better for everyone if people would say, "I bought from ShadySeller on Ebay". Then if I want the same thing you got I can go to ShadySeller on Ebay and find it and know I'm getting the same thing. Or if I want to avoid that guy. When you just say, "I bought on Ebay" you are doing a disservice to anyone who ever tries to use that information.