duemilanove board led's

when I plug the board into the computer USB the red power led comes on and the green led's at the TX/RX position flash a few times, the red led at the L position flashes quickly for a few seconds then settles at about one second intervals and I carn't find it in the computer anywhere. Am I doing something wrong or is the board bad . Regards Ed

Did you install the FTDI drivers?

Hi John,I've managed to install drivers for the UNO and DUE but not the Duemilanove . There seems to be no reference any where for this board I have. Of course being new to this and in my mid seventies dosn't help either. Ed

Have you tried the “Getting Started” page?

The instructions for each OS seem to cover the question of drivers for older FTDI-based boards.

Hi again John,

on the getting started page with Windows, number 3 says : " Connect the Board". and at the bottom of that paragraph it states: "Connect the Arduino board to the computer using the USB cable. The green power LED(labelled PWR) should go on".

However that LED never go'es green and stays red constantly even though the TX/RX led flash green momentarily and the red led at the L position flashes about every second .This is what leads me to feel that the board is not working properly. As this is my first ever board I felt that I should ask the far more knowledgeable people here.

borndaroo201:
number 3 says : " Connect the Board". and at the bottom of that paragraph it states: "Connect the Arduino board to the computer using the USB cable. The green power LED(labelled PWR) should go on".

However that LED never go'es green and stays red constantly

Sounds like you might have a cheap Arduino knock-off that used a red LED instead of a green LED. Ignore the color.

Down in step 4 they have a section titled:
Installing drivers for the Arduino Duemilanove, Nano, or Diecimila with Windows7, Vista, or XP:

That is the section you want next.

Thanks John, will give it another try today and let you know how I get on. Ed

Well no matter what I try I cant find the board on the computer. I must have done something because when I plug the board in it makes the connected up sound . There's no sign anywhere ,either in the usb ports, no "found new hardware wizard" ,no little image in the tray, just nothing. The leds still flash but nothing else. I installed a UNO r3 with no trouble at all and programmed it as well with a .hex file. But nothing about the Duemilanove on which I'd like to put a sketch written for that particular board. Would it work on a UNO or would there be too many differences ?.

Regards Ed

The sketch runs on the '328P processor, independent of which USB/Serial adapter is on the board.
Drivers - FTDI for drivers if you cannot find the driver folder in the IDE folders.
If you open Control Panel:Device Manager:Ports, do you see a COM port open when you plug in the Duemilanove?

Hi Cross roads, plugged the board in and watched the ports and sure enough up popped com3,opened xloader and tried to upload the hex file but it would not open the port. So ,armed with this new to me way of seeing if it is there I uninstalled it , then I plugged it in again and it automatically loaded itself on the computer. Then opened xloader again and it took the hex file with no problems. A lesson learnt, only a million more to go. Thanks Cross Roads and John .

Regards Ed