Duemilanove on Ubuntu Karmic

Dear fellows,

I have trouble getting my Arduino to work over USB, with Ubuntu Karmic. With MS Windows (same board and computer) it works fine, so i think there is some software problem in Ubuntu. Has anybody a working configuration? The FAQ says, there may be usb-polling services which collide with Arduino, but I can't figure this out on my own.

Hi,

I have trouble getting my Arduino to work over USB

We need to know a bit more about this to help you! Is there trouble with the IDE or the board? Are you running Ubuntu 9.10 in 32 or 64bit mode?

Eberhard

I'm running 9.10 Ubuntu 32 bit & arduino 17 It works fine and a breeze to setup. Just added the prerequisites as listed on the linux download site, unpacked the download into my home directory and away it went.......

It runs perfectly on 9.04 too, it had issues with 8.10 and earlier.

What do you see when you go to Tools --> Serial Port in the IDE?

Do you have a new device created in /dev/ when you plug in the Arduino?

My Ubuntu is 32-bit and installed from scratch, nothing twisted.

I installed: gcc-avr 1:4.3.3-1, binutils 2.18-4ubuntu1, avr-libc 1:1.6.2, avrdude 5.8-1. rxtx is 2.1-7

When I attach the Arduino on Windows, tx and rx will briefly flash, then the sketch starts. Attached to Ubuntu, the sketch starts right away, rx and tx flash two times intensively. As I start Arduino 0017, I find the board as dev/ttyUSB0. Attempting to upload something makes the board stop the sketch, rx will flash briefly, but no tx. Two error messages appear in the IDE window: avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding.

Sorry, should have posted this right away. I was expecting soemthing like "need to remove service x", due to what the troubleshooting FAQ says.

I just installed Sun Java6 JRE, gcc-avr and avr-libc from Synaptic + whatever it said were dependencies. Worked straight off. Maybe its the lack of Sun Java ?

I installed Java through the 'restricted' package (Flash, DVD, Java, etc.). Could this make a difference? Don't think so.

Can you try uploading a sketch in Windows and see if that works? It sounds like there's a communication issue with your Arduino, but I don't really know where to begin debugging that.

I did upload the led-blinking sketch, from Windows, and it worked just as expected. On ubuntu, the board seems not to answer any requests. USB is also plugged in directly to the PC and not over a hub or so.

Hm. Confusing to hear that for others (at least for pluggy) it works out of the box.

I think we should give this up for now, since I am apparently the only one with these troubles. I'll use Windows instead or make myself a serial cable. Thanks all!

I installed Java through the 'restricted' package (Flash, DVD, Java, etc.). Could this make a difference? Don't think so.

Just as an experiment, I uninstalled Sun JRE and installed the Ubuntu Restricted Packages from Synaptic, the Arduino IDE steadfastly refused to load at all, it came back when I removed the Restricted and put Sun JRE back on.

Heres a screen shot of it running on an ASUS EEEPC (the early one with the 7" screen).

Hi there, last week i upgraded from Ubuntu 8.10 to Ubuntu 9.10 aka Karmic.

Today I finally had some spare time and wanted to play with my Arduino Duemilanove Board, but sadly enough I ran into the same problem as you. (It worked fine before the Upgrade, and still works fine under Windows) I can't upload any sketch, although the port is availible and disappears when I disconnect the board (/dev/ttyUSB0). The beaviour of my board is exactly the same as in your case.

Any ideas ?

I don't really have anything to add other then a "it effects me too". The same board works fine in OSX. I can't get any sketch uploaded to any board in Karmic. Oddly enough during the alpha stage everything worked but somewhere between the beta and RC something broke.

I tried a fresh install, didn't work... so

I'm using the ftdi cable with a 168 chip. My OS is 64bit Ubuntu 9.10

zitroneneis, are you running 32 or 64 bit?

pluggy, my arduino IDE starts and runs without complaints. My installed JRE packages are sun-java6-jre 6-15-1 and sun-java6-bin 6.15.1

What version were you running exactly when it worked? Did you download it from sun directly?

I'm runnung on 32bit.

Does Jave have anything to do wirh the upload of the scetches ? Because my IDE works flawless (apart from uploading)

The Sun JRE was the default one offered by the Synaptic package manager. If you've done a fresh install and just followed the prerequisite instructions, I can only assume its down to the machine, as I've said it works a treat on the Asus EEEPC.

I had the identical issue on a fresh install.

The issue in my case turned out to be with the permissions required to find and access /dev/ttyUSB0 for the first time. The "fix" was to launch arduino from a terminal using sudo: sudo ./arduino after which /dev/ttyUSB0 appeared under Tools>Serial Port menu and things moved ahead just fine. After this I have been able to launch arduino as a "normal" user in any of the usual manners.

Hope that helps :).

P.S. Noted that /dev/ttyUSB0 is created as: crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 0 2009-11-25 17:07 /dev/ttyUSB0 and I am now a member of the dialout group - don't know if this was true prior to the "fix" or not...