Duemilanove power issues

Hey, what does it mean when the TX,RX, and L LEDs on the Duemilanove light up, and the FT232RL chip heat up when I apply power to the board? Any power supply from batteries to usb will cause this to occur. This problem occur recently seemingly out of no where as I was running the Arduino. Hitting the reset button does not work.

How do I fix this problem?

do you say that even if you power the board via USB you get this problem?

Can't be a software bug, so you should check all wires and maybe there is some metal on the back of the board that should not be there? Check alle connections and post a photo of the front and back of your board.

Posted on: Today at 02:11:47 do you say that even if you power the board via USB you get this problem?

Yes any power given to the Arduino causes this issue including battery, regulated power supply, and usb.

so you should check all wires and maybe there is some metal on the back of the board that should not be there?

I don't have the board connected to any circuit, just powering it causes this issue. It was working fine before, but then this issue abruptly occurred when I was running some code on the Arduino. As far as I can tell there is nothing wrong with the board, I didn't even smell or see anything get damaged when this first occurred. I also have another Duemilanove and compared it to this one and saw no difference.

I guess the power supply circuit of the board is damaged. My guess: C6 and C7, the u100 elkos could be destroyed. Maybe you can post a macro picture of this region and let someone look at it.

Or did you change the atmega in the past? Ever removed it and then maybe put back in in reverse?

The current limiting fuse on the USB line should prevent it from drawing enough current to get that hot...

The current limiting fuse on the USB line should prevent it from drawing enough current to get that hot.

No it just stops it from burning. It sounds like your Arduino is broken. Try removing the ATMEL chip and see if it still happens. If it does then it is definatly in the power supply circuit.