Duemilanove + Vista = Fail

I just got a Arduino Duemilanove in the mail yesterday. I haven't managed to get it working yet. I can't get anything to upload from my Vista laptop. I tried to follow the whole getting started guide from this site and it wasn't much help. I downloaded the IDE (version 0016, i think) and after I unzipped it a ran arduino.exe it crashed instantly. I tried XP compatibility mode and running as an admin. I poked around on the internet and found an installer and it "works," Its version 0013 alpha i beleive(that might be the problem, but at least it doesn't insta-crash) The IDE runs, but wont upload. the error is as follows:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00 avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

this has been happing with every driver I've tried, the one vista auto installs, the one in the zip file from this site, the one from the FTDI website. All the same error.

The actual board does the same thing every time too, pin 13 led flashes in quick bursts of 3 or 4. Then when the upload starts, the pin 13 led turns off, rx and tx flash a few times, then the pin 13 led just resumes it blinking.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Try starting the V16 software with the ".bat" file instead. Also make sure you select the correct com port and the correct board with the correct cpu (168 vs. 328) in the tools menu. Other than that I can just suggest not to use windows, but that is my personal preference.

Using old versions on windows will definitely not work with the 328 processor at all. If you have an up to date version of java installed, you may try deleting the java that is inside the arduino folder.

i would also make sure you have the latest version of java installed. you can get it at www.java.com

good luck!

I just tried it on a XP desktop and it worked wonderfully. So I can rule out hardware problems. I’ll try straighting out Java. Thanks for the advice.