Duemilanove vs UNO

Question:

Is UNO going to take over the 2009 boards? Would we be better buying the UNO instead of the 2009?

What does the future hold for the 2009? It seems that the Arduino folks are acting like another brand I do not want to mention here but residing in the U.K. As soon as one gets comfortable with a chip or a board, something new comes up and we have to start over again. I know that this is progress in technology, but should it take over that fast?

Dr.Andrew

Man! Duemilanoiva(or 2009) is the same as Uno!!! Absolutly!

But I will buy Uno, because it is last... and now 2010... soon 2011... but not 2009 )))

Uno cost on 20% more them 2009. but name is fresh! (I ordered my Uno... inspite of it cost on 20% more)

why do you buy Puma?? instead of Sprandi? because sprandy is trash... trash name!

Uno uses a new usb-to-serial chip which can be programmed to act as USB HID.

something new comes up and we have to start over again. I know that this is progress in technology, but should it take over that fast?

I wouldn't be too concerned, your 2009 is fully compatible with the current Arduino version 21 and will run all the sketches designed to work with the 328 chip. The new Uno board does offer future promises for possible USB hosting applications, but I have yet to see any examples of using that capability yet. I think the Uno might upload sketches faster then the 2009 but that is really not a reason to upgrade by itself.

Lefty

Having used both, I'd go for the Duemilanove every time. The Uno would only run my home monitoring sketch after I upgraded the 8U2 firmware and I put the Duemilanove bootloader on it. So its a weird hybrid now, I set the port as if its a Uno and the board as if its a Duemilanove.

Exceillence

The UNO is NOT exactly the same as the Duemilanove. Otherwise, I would not have asked the question.Read the posts from other members.

Dr.Andrew [smiley=cheesy.gif]

I think "official manufacturers" are already only making Uno's... Of course, there are semi-official boards like the Arduino Pro, and all manner of clones at various levels of legitimacy that continue to be essentially Duemilanove-like, and I wouldn't expect FTDI-based arduino-like boards to disappear for a long time (for one thing, there's no mega8u-based "cable" to service the boards with no USB interface of their own.)

OTOH, unless you expect to make use of the enhanced USB capabilities of the Uno (which are mostly theoretical at this point), I don't think there's too much of a reason to seek out an Uno, either.