dumbness conspiracy theory

I don't consider myself smart. Yet the level of pure thick skullness in the forums seems to be increasing. Is there something in the water? Or are aliens stealing our brainwaves? [/tinfoil hat]

aarg:
Yet the level of pure thick skullness in the forums seems to be increasing.

I'm particularly impressed by all the folks who can't figure out
PLEASE DON'T POST YOUR QUESTIONS HERE
at the top of the Introductory tutorials section

...R

Electronic dyi has for a long time been accessible only to dorky nerds... now anyone who watches too many YouTube videos and has an amazon account can dabble in it.

The curve is just shifting closer to non-niche.

Qdeathstar:
Electronic dyi has for a long time been accessible only to dorky nerds... now anyone who watches too many YouTube videos and has an amazon account can dabble in it.

The curve is just shifting closer to non-niche.

I guess we should blame the Arduino founders :slight_smile:

...R

Have you ever wondered why?

Hi, I am a noob.
Here is a simple question for you to answer . . .

:o

The problem is that YouTube talent and amazon marketing both have considerable interest in making everything look easy, quick, and cool.

No one wants to watch hours of electronic work, they want to see a pile of components flash cut to a finished product, youtubers know this and edit their videos for this. Amazon sellers want to sell shit, so it’s all easy. So, arduinoettes come in expecting something super easy but it turns into something else....

travis_farmer:
I am a carpenter, imagine if i hired on a guy, and he showed up with a ball-peen hammer and a key-chain tape measure.

..and, like he tore up a $5000 gift card and walked past the tool store with big flashing sign, "EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO WORK WITH WOOD" with his hands in his pockets.

i think if a carpenter showed up with a ball peen hammer and keychain tape measure, you’d have to at least give him a shot. If only for the pure entertainment value.

travis_farmer:
imagine if i hired on a guy, and he showed up with a ball-peen hammer and a key-chain tape measure.

This analogy is flawed.

On this Forum we are not hiring people with skill. Amongst other things we are providing a means for the guy with the ball-peen hammer and the key-chain tape measure to begin learning a new skill if he wishes to learn

And I believe the final emphasis is essential.

...R

my favorite guys are the ones who use their hands as a hammer. Well done chief!

travis_farmer:
my point was not about hiring the guy, but about having the wrong tools for the job. if somebody shows up here with no tools (basic electrical and/or programming knowledge), they may have a bit of a struggle,

You were the one who included the word "hired" and I foolishly assumed you did it on purpose :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I don't have a problem with someone turning up here with the wrong tools or no tools. What I object to is the ignorant (lacking knowledge) person who doesn't want to take the trouble to learn yet expects to successfully complete a complex project.

...R

travis_farmer:
like a proper hammer in my trade.

Just how improper is a ball-peen hammer when a carpenter needs a hammer?

I'm sure you never mess things up so that you need a claw-hammer to pull out nails :slight_smile:

I was going to say "screw things up" but that might have been ambiguous. I remember the fussy father of a friend of mine recounting the story of the time he caught a tradesman hammering in screws. When the father sarcastically asked what was the purpose of the slot in the screw the tradesman said it was for removing the screws. :slight_smile:

...R

Hi!

What's everybody talking about? My ears were itching real bad.

@ChrisTenone
Thank you for visualization.

Budvar10:
@ChrisTenone
Thank you for visualization.

It's worse than that. I have actually pounded those kind of screws through 1/2" plywood into a pine 2x4 with that ball peen hammer. It was satisfying, and hasn't budged in 7 years.

However I am no carpenter. My girlfriend won't let me do even the most minor carpentry repair on her house.

Ever again.

There are screw nails:

ChrisTenone:
My girlfriend won't let me do even the most minor carpentry repair on her house.

My wife allows me to do all work in our house and I have to be happy about it.

What the ball on a ball-peen hammer is for

...R

For screw nails. :o
(No no, it is for metal worker. :slight_smile: )

What's really scary is when you realize the people who come to this forum asking questions are actually significantly brighter than the average person.

It makes me understand why user interfaces are becoming increasingly dumbed down over time. Every menu, option, configuration setting, etc. you remove makes for less tech support you have to pay for. For every advanced user you lose there are a hundred more average users to gain.