Dynamic memory with strcmp/strcpy

Hi, I'm having some problems managing the dynamic memory in my code. Assume that I'm already allocating 22% of dynamic memory (according to the IDE).

So I'm using an array of char arrays, and I want to use strcmp or strcpy, for example:

const char names[25][24]
if (strcmp(strtocompare, names[0]) == 0){
    Serial.println(F("hehe"));
}

My dynamic memory allocation jumps up to 52%, and I have no idea why. The severity of the allocation seem to depend on the array size, but how can I avoid this? Also the same happens with strcpy.

In essence I have two arrays of char arrays (fairly big: 49 and 25 elements), and I need to loop them and compare them to an input, however I can't seem to fix this problem.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Well, you're allocating 24*25 or 600 bytes. The AVR only has 2k. What do you expect? ...and why is 52% memory usage a problem?

Well obviously it makes sense.. My confusion stems from the fact that if I don't use any of those functions (i.e. just initializing them), it stays at 22%. My guess is that if I don't use it, it doesn't account them?

EDIT: 52% is just a number, taking to account that I need the other array (49x22), it's basically just impossible to store it.

dpswt:
Well obviously it makes sense.. My confusion stems from the fact that if I don't use any of those functions (i.e. just initializing them), it stays at 22%. My guess is that if I don't use it, it doesn't account them?

If you don't use a variable or array, then the optimizer will delete it from your code and it won't be part of what gets compiled. As soon as you use it for something, then that can't happen and it starts counting.

Delta_G:
If you don't use a variable or array, then the optimizer will delete it from your code and it won't be part of what gets compiled. As soon as you use it for something, then that can't happen and it starts counting.

Makes sense.. In that case would it be viable to store each array in PROGMEM and only convert the one needed? I'm assuming you can't just convert back to SRAM an element, and need to convert the whole array.

No, you can pull it out one element at a time if you want. But it definitely makes sense that anything that doesn't change at runtime be stored in PROGMEM.

dpswt:
Makes sense.. In that case would it be viable to store each array in PROGMEM and only convert the one needed? I'm assuming you can't just convert back to SRAM an element, and need to convert the whole array.

Tell us what you're trying to do
Post code, not snippets

AWOL:
Tell us what you're trying to do
Post code, not snippets

I already told everything that I'm doing that IS relevant.

dpswt:
In essence I have two arrays of char arrays (fairly big: 49 and 25 elements), and I need to loop them and compare them to an input (...)

That's all it is really... it's a simple lookup: if the input matches a certain string on one of the arrays, do something with it (which is irrelevant to the question).
The reason there is 2 different arrays is essentially because every string in it has a common keyword (e.g. one array has "cheese", other has "milk" in every string), hence the possibility to rule out one of the arrays before I loop it (strstr function).

Eitherway I admit my original question was a bit weird and dumb retrospectively, so I apologize and thank for all the help given here.

That's all it is really... it's a simple lookup: if the input matches a certain string on one of the arrays, do something with it (which is irrelevant to the question).

No, it isn't irrelevant. If the data in the 2D array is the name of files on an SD card, then it is NOT necessary to save them in an array to determine is a particular file exists, or not. The SD class has a method to tell you that.

dpswt:
it’s a simple lookup: if the input matches a certain string on one of the arrays, do something with it

Then it sounds like putting those arrays in PROGMEM is the way to go, there is no need to have them to RAM. (Of course, they are already in PROGREM, that’s how they are currently copied to RAM in the first place, so you won’t be taking a significant PROGRMEM hit to store them there.)

The issue with PROGMEM (and why strings are generally copied to RAM in the first place) is that the AVR processors use a Harvard architecture where code space and data space are two distinctly different address domains, and are accessed differently by the processor. While the architecture provides some significant speed benefits, it makes it hard to access program space memory as data.

There are some functions (like print() and println()) that are overloaded and have special versions to handle strings that are in PROGMEM. These will copy the data out of PROGMEM a byte at a time and then process the data. As far as I know, there is no string compare function that can compare a string in RAM with a string in PROGMEM, you will probably have to write one yourself. That shouldn’t be too bad: a function that takes a const char* parameter to indicate the RAM string, and a const __FlashStringHelper* parameter to indicate the PROGMEM string. The function would look something like this: (I did not try to compile or test it, it probably still needs some work)

boolean compare(const char* a, const __FlashStringHelper *b)
{
  unsigned char c = 0xff;
  PGM_P p = reinterpret_cast<PGM_P>(b);
  while (*a++)   // Repeat until end of string a
  {
    // Get the next character from PROGMEM
    unsigned char c = pgm_read_byte(p++);

// Strings are different if current character is different, or end of string b
    // Don't need to bother checking for end of string a, as the while loop will catch that
    if ((*a != c) || (c == 0) )
        return false;
  }

// Hit end of string a. Strings are equal if also end of string b (c==0).
  // Strings are different if c is not zero (there is more in string b)
  return (c == 0);
}

I’ve not tested it, but hopefully it’s close. There is a limitation to the way this is coded: if string a is empty on entry (a points to a NULL character) it will never execute the while loop, and will never read the first character from the PROGMEM string. Because c is initialized non-zero, the function will return false in this case, as it assumes b is not empty. This will be the wrong if string b is indeed empty. While it’s certainly possible that string a is empty (if you’re comparing user input they may have entered nothing) you probably won’t be using this function to compare to an empty PROGMEM string, so this may not be a serious limitation. (After all, you will already know what you put in PROGMEM, so why would you use this function with an empty PROGMEM string? The only reason to do so would be to check if string a was empty, and there are far more efficient ways of doing that.)

The reason there is 2 different arrays is essentially because every string in it has a common keyword (e.g. one array has “cheese”, other has “milk” in every string), hence the possibility to rule out one of the arrays before I loop it (strstr function).

So it sounds like you are concerned about speed, so you broke things up into two lists, so you can immediately eliminate many of the possibilities. Because you need to copy each character from PROGMEM, this function won’t be as fast as a stock strncmp() function. One way to improve efficiency is to put the most common options at the beginning of the list.

Other ways to improve efficiency are to sort the list alphabetically and use a binary search to quickly get you to the right portion of the list, or ditch the array of strings completely and go with something like a tree data structure that is faster to search.