E-Inc display datasheet

Hi, I'm trying to understand the datasheet of an e-ink display. The data sheet can be found here: http://www.avidia.com.tw/docs/product/LB060S01-FD01.pdf

My first question is: do you think it's realistic to get this display running with an arduino?

Then I've some understanding problems with the Interface Connections. What excactly means Vneg and Vpos? How can I have a negative volt? And what is Vdd? I have three volt sources (Vneg, Vpos, Vdd) and one ground, right? Whats the difference between the three? Also it would be nice if somebody could descripe the function of CL, LE and OE... The best I think would be a description of the function of every Conncetion.... But I also would be happy if you just answer my first questions.

Thank you very much! twain

Looks like it needs voltage supplies of 3.3V, 22V, -20V, 15V, and -15V. It'll need 18 digital pins level shifted to 3.3V. It will also need a ram buffer for the 800x600 8-bit pixels so that's about 469KB of ram, although it only seems to use 3-bits of the pixel data so you could optimize that down to under half, and maybe free up 5 digital pins.

Where did you buy the display from?

do you think it's realistic to get this display running with an arduino?

No. That display needs a display driver. Then depending on the characteristics of the display driver then answer might be yes but it is probably still no.

I've driven a similar parallel display using an lpc2106 ARM without problems. The ram buffer is the main obstacle, but with an e-ink display you could probably get creative and use minimal ram if, for example, you only display text on the unit (i.e you don't need to remember what's already on the display).

I've driven a similar parallel display using an lpc2106 ARM without problems.

Yes so have I but I wouldn't attempt to do it with an arduino.

Thank you for your answers. dhunt do you have a description or publication of your project with the lpc2106 ARM? Or in general do you know a publication of any projekt with an eink display like this?

dhunt: Where did you buy the display from?

I don't have this display yet but you can buy it on ebay.

Perhaps you or anybody else are more interested in my idea and have some good tips for me :-) Maybe you know the open source handeld open pandora (openpandora.org). I think it would be nice if you could turn off the normal screen and have a additional screen (e-ink) which is connected via bluetooth or just usb. so you can read ebooks... Also this would be nice to connect it to an smartphone or similar. The problem is I don't have a lot of experience in these things and it looks like it is not the simplest idea....

bye, twain

Also that datasheet is not enough information by itself (and it lists 6 power supplies, not just 5, one is specified as +30 to +45V…) There is perhaps a complementary chip to generate these from the same manufacturer?

Quite an ambitious project - Arduino not really suited I’d have said.