EAGLE dimensions/drill issue

Oh, I misunderstood 10-16mils and 32-50mils for power traces as mm. So 0.33mm and 1mm respectively, more or less?

So what does Eagle mean when I click on properties for a trace and the width = 0.016 default? I thought that was mm, so I was taking it up to 0.33 and 0.254 is as high as I could get. So that's 0.254 of an inch?

Ok so 0.016" is 0.4mm or 16 mils, so that would be fine for the signal traces, but I should increase the power traces to 0.05"...wow they look kinda big!

I totally lost sight of the project with the mounting holes. This is my first pcb and I followed a youtube tutorial on Eagle (after leaving fritzing behind) and they used holes so I blindly added mine but I wont need them! Thanks again.

Use a horizontal resistor for R2 (like R1), and position it horizontally above the chip
(right-click the resistor, and choose replace to do so).
That should fix the air-wire problem.

Right-click a trace section, and left-click properties.
Hover the mouse over "width", and roll the wheel (or use the drop-down box) to change track/section width.
Leo..

Also, the jumper will not do as you intend. It should break the trace between R1 and the ic pin, not be parallel to it.

Ok I replaced the resistor type and rotated it and moved it over the IC chip but maybe its not long enough:

As for the jumper, how do I fix that in the schematic? I removed it and now I have an issue between schematic and board :frowning:

Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 5.20.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 5.20.45 PM.png

Marciokoko:
...but maybe its not long enough

Then you have used the wrong resistor.
Did you use e.g ...0204/5
Then change it to 0204/7
Leo..

THanks, I did put that one in first but it looked too big but now that I think about it, the 204/7 is the width of the tiny, so thats not so bad.

Ok the larger issue is that I think I irreversibly messed up the connection between the sch and brd. When I click the ERC button I get:

Different connections on U$1 pin SCK/PB2 and pad SCK (SCK/N$2).

Im sure its because i decided to move the jumper from:

IC(Vcc)-R1-JUMPER-Flex

to

IC(SCK) --- JUMPER --- Flex

but then I erased it and now they look like this:

It does appear to be getting mucked up. On the plus side, it's a small board with few components so with all the practice you've had, it shouldn't be too hard to crank out another 'perfect' one. Practice makes perfect.

If you've (somehow) deleted something from the PCB that's still on the schematic then delete it from the schematic. That will bring the two back into sync. Eagle can't decide for you, so it just has to say "not consistent" until you make it consistent.

Normally it will refuse to delete a component from the PCB and force you to make that kind of change on the schematic.

I still think X1 is in a weird place.
Move R1 a bit towards the speaker, so X1 can fit next to R1.

Traces for SMD parts should be on the brown side, but through-hole parts should really be on the blue side of the board. You can easilly change that by righ-clicking a trace section, and left-clicking properties.

I asked you several times to post the board files (in a .zip file).
I understand you want to learn by doing it yourself, but it can also be helpful to see how others solve this.
Leo..

I do have everything the way it is on both schematic and board.

Wawa, I did post it! Ill post it again.

FlexieSep6th.zip (308 KB)

Is this something you want smaller rather than larger? By rearranging some things, you can probably make it half the size you are now and still use through hole parts.

Ok guys, I managed to find the best possible sch/brd before the mess in the backup files and this is what I did. As you can see I added the jumper and removed the connection between pin 1 and pin 2 which I guess was there because it was a solid track before. But I get this, is it correct:

Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 8.15.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 8.15.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 8.15.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 8.15.19 PM.png

Ok I ended up with this:

My version of the board.

Flexie.zip (30.5 KB)

Hmm, nice and compact Wawa. Go with smd,s and it can be halved again by putting the speaker on the rear.

I did not check the actual circuit. Just copied what you did.
You might still be able to improve things yourself.
You should be able to get 12 of these (panelize) on a standard 10x10cm board from a board house.
Leo..

Hi leo

Could you just check the jumper i added. Is that right?

The jumper should be before the trace going from the resistor to the flex, no? But how do I manage that in the schematic?

Hi Leo/Wawa

Dont mean to sound pushy but could you help me out with the jumper? As I mentioned, I have this in the schematic now:

and I was able to place it like so, where one pin from IC-SCK is on the bottom blue layer and the other pin to 10kΩ is on the top red layer. But two things are weird here:

1. There is a yellow air wire still left over an existing trace on that diagonal to the left of the letters JP1.

2. The fattened 5V trace above the ISP header seems to be touching but split into 2 parts for some reason:

Those kinds of airwires show up occasionally. If it doesn’t go away with a ratsnest command, then draw a track using that airwire, just on top of the existing track. Check the back side (blue layer.) You may have a small fragment of track left over on the opposite layer.

The pinched-down section is probably a small segment that you didn’t set the width correctly. Either fatten it or delete it and re-join with the correct width track.

Thanks so much, I think I got it: