Eagle Library Part for 8x8 LED Matrix

Hi everyone,

Has anyone designed a part for the Eagle Schematic / PCB for an 8x8 LED Matrix? I've been unable to locate one. :-/

-lilbuzz

No, but I can make ones for the RGB 8x8 Matrices tonight. However, there are two major parts out there-- the kind that SparkFun has in their storefront, and the kind that LCDsee and Seeedstudio have in theirs. LCDSee and Seeedstudio's matrix is common anode with nicely organized pinouts. SparkFun's is common cathode AND has a totally different and strange pinout compared to the other two.

Halley,

That would be fantastic. ;D If you're interested, I think I am using the following part: http://www.lc-led.com/View/itemNumber/196 But for now any 8x8 would do for just my schematic.

Thanks, lilbuzz

remember you can't just use ANY 8x8 matrix part, you need to use one that corresponds to the pin order of your matrix.

There is no "standard" pin order, but there are some that are more common than others

trialex,

remember you can't just use ANY 8x8 matrix part, you need to use one that corresponds to the pin order of your matrix.

There is no "standard" pin order, but there are some that are more common than others

Right you are. Currently I am only interested in the schematic, but in the real world, the pin-out is very important, as well as whether it is common anode row, or common cathode row, etc.

Is it difficult to copy and modify a part in Eagle?

-lilbuzz

Is it difficult to copy and modify a part in Eagle?

No, but it's not intuitive.

Sometimes the easiest way is to "export" the parts from an existing scematic - that's what I did to get an 8x8 matrix.

Alternatively try the "cut" command - it's equivalent to the windows "copy" in this case

I ended up with no free time last night, but really will do this tonight. :)

halley,

No problem. I really appreciate the help.

-lilbuzz

lilbuzz, try this: I've posted a tiny Eagle Library file at http://halley.cc/arduino/matrix.lbr - it contains only one variant of matrix so far, the LEDsee/Seedstudio RGB variety. Feedback appreciated.

halley,

That looks good to me.

-lilbuzz

Added the SparkFun variant of this part. What a wacky pinout!

Will get around to bicolor and monocolor variants.