Eagle tutorials? Books?

I did a search with google, but I didn't find any real in-depth tutorials for eagle.
Also, are there any book recommendations for learning Eagle? there are just so many to choose from.

:smiley:

~Travis

Hi Travis:
I am teaching myself Eagle too and am still looking for some horizontal component to its learning curve. I started with internet tutorials but the irony with stuff from the internet is that it is most helpful when you already kind of understand the subject matter. When I really need to get going with something new I have found a book is the way to go. I think published authors take more time to organize and prioritize topics. I ordered and read:

Make Your Own PCBs with EAGLE: From Schematic Designs to Finished Boards 1st Edition, by Simon Monk. This gave me a good start. I recommend it.

Sparkfun has some excellent tutorials and the videos by Jeremy Blum are helpful also. The parts libraries are challenging especially the manner in which components are numbered. I found a few websites with fairly detailed explanations and moved through that.
Tom

TKall:
Make Your Own PCBs with EAGLE: From Schematic Designs to Finished Boards 1st Edition, by Simon Monk

good suggestion, excellent book for beginners

Travis:
I found this for designating capacitors.

Capacitors are worse than resistors, largely because their bodies come in a wider variety of shapes (that are less standardized), and of course there are all those different types; disk, ceramic, mylar, film, electrolytic, tantalum, AC filter, etc (and those are just the FIXED value caps!) Again, threre are slightly different US and European schematic symbols C-US and C-EU in rcl.lib. Again, there’s a plethora of packages, but there’s a standard format. In this case it’s SSS-WWWXLLL, where SSS is the lead spacing (with an extra digit this time!), WWW is the body width, and LLL is the body length.

Polarized caps are similar (CPOL-US or CPOL-EU in rcl.lbr), with a package name like TSSS-DD, where
T is a type designator (E for electrolytics, TT for tantalum drops, for instance) SSS is the spacing again
(only now it probably has an actual decimal point!), and DD is the diameter (for radial caps)

Most hobby projects can get away with either 2.5mm or 5mm lead spacing, and the designer “remembering” to leave enough space for the physical capacitor body; there might not be a silkscreen anyway.
(the “silkscreen” is the pictures and text describing the components, usually printed in white ink on the component side of the board (if you had it made professionally.) Library designers spend a lot of time getting the silkscreen to look nice; all wasted if you make a board that doesn’t have that printing.)

And this one for resistors:

Actually all the pertinent dimensional data is there.
Check datasheets or component drawings for the
dimensions of your selected component and choose
the closest one or create your own.

Example: US-0204/5 or US-204/5V
US = US symbol. Grid will be in inches (probably nearest .1 or .05 inch increment)
02 = 2mm (≈.08 inches) body diameter
04 = 4mm (≈.16 inches) body length
/5 = 5mm (≈.200 inches) lead spacing. (Note: US designation)
or
/5V = Vertical orientation with 5 mm lead spacing

Now I can just use my calipers to find the correct library part.
Hope it helps

I recommend two books:

• Make Your Own PCBs with EAGLE: From Schematic Designs to Finished Boards
  • Designing Circuit Boards with Eagle: Make High Quality PCBs at Low Cost

EAGLE comes with over 60 pages of tutorial .pdf. Did you not find it useful? Sparkfun.com tutorial was where I got started. There are lots of things to learn in EAGLE but as a hobbyist I'll probably not cover most of it.

Eagle as a tool is actually pretty easy to use once you get started.

Circuit design is differnt from using eagle though… I would start making a board, then post the schematic and the board file in general electronics… They’ll point out your mistakes as long as it’s not a very complex board…

Hardest part is figuring out the ground planes and double checking to make sure you don’t have any unrouted wires…

I have download the Sparkfun library and have not had much luck with it. Twice I have installed Eagle and Sparkfun library. I get in to the tutorial but then something happens and it will mess up.I have try to back track but with no luck. I will try again tonight from scratch. Some how I lost part of the Sparkfun library.
I take it from your post that you have not had any problems, therefore the problem is on my end.

How legal was that EAGLE download? I've not had problems missing part of or messed up libraries.

I made this series of charts for creating your own symbols.
What I found useful was the Sparkfun and Adafruit libraries, otherwise the choices for parts for a new design can be overwhelming. Can also open one of the Arduino boards and File:Export:Library to get the parts they use.
Working back to a part you can buy from Digikey or Mouser is where the fun really starts.

How legal was that EAGLE download? I've not had problems missing part of or messed up libraries.

If this was aim at me, I download the Eagle program from the link on SparkFun Tutorial. I loaded the SparkFun library and installed it with the Eagle library.

I followed the making a sketch program. Have way through the tutorial I lost half of the SparkFun library.

This has happen twice so far.

I am trying it a third time right now.

Well so far so good. The third time seems to be a charm. Sketch is complete on to the PCB board.