Early Stage Concept - Portable Battery Powered Router

I'm thinking of making a pocket-sized router, powered off external power-bank/laptop, with up 6 RJ45 connections to network laptops not planning on using WiFi.
I'm interested if this is possible running on the Mega2560.

Purpose:
I want to be able to play the likes of Civ V with my friends through LAN mode on the go.

Requirements:

• Able to handle around 10Mbps (definetly +5Mbps).
  • ~6 RJ45 connections.
  • Small, something that won't take up too much room in by backpack.

Things I want it to do but not necessary:

• More connections.
  • Higher speeds +50Mbps.
  • Be able to connect to the internet (completely unnecessary but kinda wanna challenge myself).

Personal Experience with arduino:
I have never used arduino for networking but I have 2 yrs experience in data-logging/interpretation and a little with robotics.

If this is too difficult of a project feel free to say but what would help me most:

• Is this possible on arduino hardware, if not what should I work off of?
  • Useful articles on how to a build router/previous similar projects.
  • Any places a newbie to networking would trip up on.
  • Basic advice for getting started.

An ESP8266 or ESP32 with built-in Wifi and lots more memory and processing speed would be a better choice than a Mega.

A RaspberryPi might be an even better choice.

...R

matthef:
I’m thinking of making a pocket-sized router, with up 6 RJ45 connections to network laptops not planning on using WiFi.

It all seems rather short sighted. Maybe RJ45 sockets have not all gone the way LPT ports yet, but they might by next week, and you could be left looking like a complete idiot. Best read at least the first bit of reply #1 again, just in case.