I'm thinking of making a pocket-sized router, powered off external power-bank/laptop, with up 6 RJ45 connections to network laptops not planning on using WiFi.
I'm interested if this is possible running on the Mega2560.
I want to be able to play the likes of Civ V with my friends through LAN mode on the go.
- Able to handle around 10Mbps (definetly +5Mbps).
- ~6 RJ45 connections.
- Small, something that won't take up too much room in by backpack.
Things I want it to do but not necessary:
- More connections.
- Higher speeds +50Mbps.
- Be able to connect to the internet (completely unnecessary but kinda wanna challenge myself).
Personal Experience with arduino:
I have never used arduino for networking but I have 2 yrs experience in data-logging/interpretation and a little with robotics.
If this is too difficult of a project feel free to say but what would help me most:
- Is this possible on arduino hardware, if not what should I work off of?
- Useful articles on how to a build router/previous similar projects.
- Any places a newbie to networking would trip up on.
- Basic advice for getting started.