Easiest way to interface arduino with pc?

Hello! I want to interface my computer with an arduino to retrieve sensor data and send data back to the arduino, all wirelessly only.
I have two Arduinos that I want to set up and control from a single computer. One will retrieve temperature, the other would act as a switch.

I want to be able to get the temperature from the arduino via my computer(on command, not through intervals but that would also be nice) and send a single byte of data to the other from my computer. Maybe receive a single byte of data from it too.

Is this possible to do with Arduino? If so, what would I need to do this? I am new to the Arduino and want to apologize in advance if I have asked these questions in the wrong place.

There are several simple radio-link shields or breakout boards that you can attach to an Arduino. You really need 3 : one for your sensor, one for the switch and one for the pc. That last one will act as the communication master talking to the other 2 and the pc.

If your PC supports Bluetooth, a Bluetooth serial module is probably the least expensive but only a short 10 Meters or so range.

Ray

oggydoggy:
I have two Arduinos that I want to set up and control from a single computer. One will retrieve temperature, the other would act as a switch.

I want to be able to get the temperature from the arduino via my computer(on command, not through intervals but that would also be nice) and send a single byte of data to the other from my computer. Maybe receive a single byte of data from it too.

Is this possible to do with Arduino?

It's possible but it sounds very much like the two Arduinos are grossly under-employed. Can't you do this job with one? The real purpose of the PC might warrant some scrutiny too.

I was wondering the same thing.
Why 2 Arduinos?
I'm only asking because you said you were new to this stuff and might not realise one will do it.
Arduino software has a serial monitor that lets you see the output.

My temp sensor is set up to graph the output and turn on a fan when the solar box gets hot enough.
With one Arduino.

I want to use two because they will serve difference purposes from different locations around my home(outside and inside mainly).

I don't know the best hardware option to connect your two arduino with a PC but to coordinate them with a PC and a single program you can use my java open source library ardulink.
www.ardulink.org

Contact me if you have some question. Please let me know (if you choose my solution) how you have connected PC wireless with arduino (actually I'm testing just direct USB connection but with the right hardware it should work...).