Easy Bluetooth Module

hello,

This is a long shot but I'm working with the easy bluetooth module from parallax (http://www.parallax.com/tabid/768/ProductID/550/Default.aspx). The problem is that i can get it connected and it works like a charm but only on 9600 baud.

I did try the following, changing the baud in my program on the arduino, changing the baud on my computer for the bluetooth device and changing the baud on the terminal view.

The problem is that the easy bluetooth module has an internal baud rate, I've read the documentation and it doesn't really say you can change it, and i would like to know a basic step to step explanation how to change the baud rate of this module.

I've also made a post on the parallax forums but nobody is responsing (they all use PBASIC).

Thanks!

it doesn't really say you can change it

But, you'd like to know how?

Yes I would like to know how to change it, in the specifications of the module it clearly says it can work on multiple baud rates (including 57600 for example) the document then gives a list of opcodes and flags and what the hell more, but I really dont have a clue how to program it so I can change the baud rate.

Thanks for the fast reply :)!

$75? American dollars? That's a rip off.

Anyway, how are you using this device now? Code?

Just like a serial output, I connected the TX en RX cables to the TX and RX (crossing them) and then write some simple example code:

/*
simple LED test
*/

char val;         // variable to receive data from the serial port
int ledpin = 13; 

void setup()
{
  pinMode(ledpin, OUTPUT);  // pin 13 (on-board LED) as OUTPUT

Serial1.begin(9600); 

}

void loop() {
  if( Serial1.available() )       // if data is available to read
  {;}
    val = Serial1.read();         // read it and store it in 'val'

if( val == '0' )               // if '0' was received led 13 is switched off

{
   digitalWrite(ledpin, LOW);    // turn Off pin 13 off
delay(1000);                  // waits for a second   
Serial1.println("13 off");
  }

if( val == '1' )               // if '1' was received led 13 on
 {
    digitalWrite(ledpin, HIGH);  // turn ON pin 13 on
    delay(1000);                  // waits for a second
    Serial1.println("13 on");
  }
}

It works but only with baud 9600

if( Serial1.available() )       // if data is available to read
  {;}

If there is serial data available to read, do nothing.

val = Serial1.read();         // read it and store it in 'val'

Then regardless of whether there is any data available, read it.

Hmmm, that's certainly a novel approach.

I guess I wonder, with this simple code, why you need to increase the baud rate. Not that I could help you, anyway, since I don't have that overpriced device to experiment with.

Ho well thanks for the reply's :),

The arduino is attached to an iRobot and it generates a map using SLAM this map needs to be send to the user with a bluetooth module. This module needs to send around 8kb-500kb of data.

Anyways another question (since you are so intressted). Im planning to attach a mircoSD module so i can send those big files.

Now if i for exmaple want to send the big microSD file over bluetooth do i need the space on the sram to send it?

For example my file is 200kb (my arduino has 8kb sram) is it possilbe to send this file over bluetooth with the arduino?

thanks!

The arduino is attached to an iRobot and it generates a map using SLAM

OK.

this map needs to be send to the user with a bluetooth module.

How does the user tell the Arduino to send the map?

This module needs to send around 8kb-500kb of data.

Not all from memory, of course, since even the Mega only has 8K of memory.

Im planning to attach a mircoSD module so i can send those big files.

Send or store? I presume you mean store so you can send.

Now if i for exmaple want to send the big microSD file over bluetooth do i need the space on the sram to send it?

Not necessarily. You could read a byte and send a byte. Only one byte of SRAM is needed for this.

For example my file is 200kb (my arduino has 8kb sram) is it possilbe to send this file over bluetooth with the arduino?

Sure. The amount of data has nothing to do with the ability to send it. The time that it will take to send the data is a different story.

Hopefully someone else can help you increase the speed.