Easy Driver Board with WMC Stepper Motor Pump - Guidance needed!

Hi, sorry to post here, I'm not a fan of posting on forums, as I am usually abe to find the help using a google search, but I'm a little stumped on this one, and need some guidance if possible!

I am trying to get a stepper motor working with the Easy Driver Board. I've got both the Easy Driver and the Big Easy Driver boards, but they are both giving me nothing.

I got some life out of the easy driver board, but the pump refused to turn (when connected to a peristaltic pump), just made like a ratchet-y sound. I assumed it's because I wasn't supplying enough tourque to the pump?

Anyway, now I am getting nothing, so I appear to have shorted the boards. Following the instructions on the Easy Driver page, I am getting low resistance between certain connection points, where I shouldn't be! So my question is for those out there who have worked with these boards, or stepper motors in general, is it usually this fiddly? and are the boards this fragile? I don't consider myself too heavy handed, so to have shorted two boards, I am a little confused!!

Otherwise, does anyone know of any other driver boards which would suit my purpose?

Thanks for the time guys, much appreciated!

Silly question but do any have any OTHER KNOWN GOOD motors you can use to test the driver ?

Sometimes the silly questions are the best! I'm currently using a WMC pump (http://www.wmcpumps.com/pdf/200_stepper_motor_spec.pdf) but no, I haven't tested any other pumps. I'll see if I can get hold of one to see if I have more luck! Thanks.

That motor requires 1.5 amps so it needs the BigEasydriver.

A few more silly questions ...

Which motor from the datasheet do you have? Are you sure you have everything wired up correctly? What power supply are you using for the motor? What current limit have you set on the BigEasydriver? What micro-step setting are you using? afaik the BigEasy defaults to x16 microsteps probably better to start testing with full steps Post the code you are using on your Arduino.

...R

I'm currently using a WMC pump (http://www.wmcpumps.com/pdf/200_stepper_motor_spec.pdf) but no, I haven't tested any other pumps. I'll see if I can get hold of one to see if I have more luck!

It doesn't have to be a pump. ANY DC motor will work to test the driver. If it works with a smaller motor it is not blown.

raschemmel: It doesn't have to be a pump. ANY DC motor will work to test the driver. If it works with a smaller motor it is not blown.

It must be a stepper motor, and it must be suitable for the driver.

And some of the pumps on the datasheet have motors with built-in drivers - so we need to know exactly what the OP has.

...R

It doesn't have to be a pump. ANY DC motor will work to test the driver. If it works with a smaller motor it is not blown

Sorry, I meant ANY TWO DC MOTORS....

raschemmel: Sorry, I meant ANY TWO DC MOTORS....

Maybe I'm missing something important here ...

How to you test a BigEasydriver with 2 DC motors? or even with 1 DC motor?

...R

Sorry for the late reply!

Robin2: That motor requires 1.5 amps so it needs the BigEasydriver.

A few more silly questions ...

Which motor from the datasheet do you have?

I've got the motor which does not include drivers, so no problem there, I hope!

Robin2: Are you sure you have everything wired up correctly?

Yes, the motor is wired up correctly. I have been following the guide on the Big Easy Driver website.

Robin2: What power supply are you using for the motor?

I have a 24v 2A power supply going into the driver.

Robin2: What current limit have you set on the BigEasydriver?

Is this the potentiometer? I have tried altering this while testing, and not had any success so far!

Robin2: What micro-step setting are you using? afaik the BigEasy defaults to x16 microsteps

It's currently set to 16 microsteps.

Robin2: probably better to start testing with full steps Post the code you are using on your Arduino.

...R

Here you go: nothing too advanced!

void setup() {                

pinMode(8, OUTPUT);     

pinMode(9, OUTPUT);

digitalWrite(8, LOW);

digitalWrite(9, LOW);

}

void loop() {

digitalWrite(9, HIGH);         

digitalWrite(9, LOW); 

delay(1000);          

}

Thanks again - I've ordered a smaller pump and a new Big EasyDriver board so I can test with that and then once I've got the code working, I'll try powering up to a larger pump.

alun: Thanks again - I've ordered a smaller pump and a new Big EasyDriver board so I can test with that and then once I've got the code working, I'll try powering up to a larger pump.

Nice simple code. I presume pin 9 is step and pin 8 is direction.

delay(1000); means one microstep every second or 53 minutes for a revolution (I think)

Try delay(10);

I have not used a BigEasydriver - I have the Pololu A4988 which is similar but not identical. You do need to figure out how to set the correct current limit. And if it were my project I would connect up the microstep connections (to GND or 5v, as required) to change to full steps.

...R

Maybe I'm missing something important here ...

How to you test a BigEasydriver with 2 DC motors? or even with 1 DC motor?

The objective is merely to determine if the driver is fried. If you connect two dc motors to a stepper motor driver and they turn, would you not conclude the stepper driver is not fried ?

Really, does the big easy driver know the difference between a dc motor winding and a stepper motor winding ? (given that the dc motors can handle the voltage you input to the driver (which you can always reduce below 12V to something lower if necessary)

raschemmel: The objective is merely to determine if the driver is fried. If you connect two dc motors to a stepper motor driver and they turn, would you not conclude the stepper driver is not fried ?

Smart thinking! I'll give that a try when I get a chance!

I have managed to order an Pololu A4988 since it was so cheap, and success! The board makes a noise, and turns... but not in the same direction.. it seems to be fighting against itself. Is this a wiring issue? Still using the same code as above, but I reduced the delay to 10 as per your advice.

Sorry for the trouble!

alun: I have managed to order an Pololu A4988 since it was so cheap, and success! The board makes a noise, and turns... but not in the same direction.. it seems to be fighting against itself. Is this a wiring issue? Still using the same code as above, but I reduced the delay to 10 as per your advice.

The wiring arrangements on the Pololu A4988 page work - they are what I use.

What do you mean by "not in the same direction"? What do you mean by "fighting against itself?

Be aware that the Pololu A4988 defaults to single-step mode.

...R

Robin2: What do you mean by "not in the same direction"? What do you mean by "fighting against itself?

Be aware that the Pololu A4988 defaults to single-step mode.

...R

It clicks, like it wants to turn, turns slightly in one direction, but milliseconds later, clicks again and turns in the other direction, so it's clicking and turning, but not in the same direction. Overall it slowly turns in one direction more than the other, but not very convincingly, if that makes sense!

Have you tried different delay lengths? If you are using 10msec (= 100 steps/sec) try 100msec = 10 steps / second.

I think it should work fine with 10.

Draw an exact diagram of your own wiring arrangements and post a photo of it.

I can't remember if you told us what power supply you are using for the motor - volts and amps?

Have you set the current limit of the A4988 correctly?

...R