Easy Driver + Stepper; no result

I'm wondering if anyone can help me. I have searched this forum and google for the last few days and can't find what my problem is.

I have the arduino uno and just switched to the EasyDriver board. My stepper motor works correctly when I hook it up to my motor shield but when I hook everything up to the EasyDriver I do not get anything to happen.

Here is my code I am using..

void setup() {                
  pinMode(8, OUTPUT);     
  pinMode(9, OUTPUT);
  digitalWrite(8, LOW);
  digitalWrite(9, LOW);
}

void loop() {
  digitalWrite(9, HIGH);
  delay(1);          
  digitalWrite(9, LOW); 
  delay(1);          
}

It's so basic I can't figure out how it doesnt work.

I have my motor set up with the same wiring that my motor shield had (as far as M1,M2) so I don't think that is the issue. I have a 9v wall plug that I cut and wired to the + and grd on the opposite end of the board from the motor wiring. I have my Step and DIR also plugged into the right pins on the arduino board. At this point I am at a loss. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. Hopefully someone will be able to help me.

Here is the wiring diagram I followed (minus the motor since I already know the layout and the colors aren't the same) I also hooked up the pins to 8/9 since thats what the code calls for.

You may need to supply the EasyDriver with 5V and ground to the provided connections on the lower left of the board.

groundfungus:
You may need to supply the EasyDriver with 5V and ground to the provided connections on the lower left of the board.

Would this be on top of the wall plug 9v that I already have on the board? I could just supply the 5v from the arduino pins right?

Yes you can give 5v from arduino.

AMPS-N:
Yes you can give 5v from arduino.

Alright, I will try this in the morning. Thanks to the both of you for trying to help me. I hope this will resolve my issue.

Looking at your second picture it looks like you might have the step and direction shorted out.
Not a very good soldering job also.
From the schematic it shows the board is powered already (there is link that can be cut if outside power is used).
You need to have a common ground between the arduino and the easydriver so the signals (step-dir) will be read.

Edit:

Looks like you do have a common ground but hard to tell but it looks like you are sending the steps to the direction pin.

justone:
Looking at your second picture it looks like you might have the step and direction shorted out.
Not a very good soldering job also.
From the schematic it shows the board is powered already (there is link that can be cut if outside power is used).
You need to have a common ground between the arduino and the easydriver so the signals (step-dir) will be read.

Edit:

Looks like you do have a common ground but hard to tell but it looks like you are sending the steps to the direction pin.

One of my first times soldering.. hopefully I'll get better over time. So you think my issue is the step/direction pin are switched?

Anyone have any advice... still no luck :frowning:

It looks like the red wire is connected to DIR and to the higher numbered Arduino pin (9, presumably). If so you are sending the step instructions to the DIR input. Not very likely to work?

…R

Robin2:
It looks like the red wire is connected to DIR and to the higher numbered Arduino pin (9, presumably). If so you are sending the step instructions to the DIR input. Not very likely to work?

...R

Even though my code has them assigned to the same pins they are plugged into? If not, what pin should they be?

I may well be wrong but it seemed to me that your code has got the two pins mixed up.

...R

Robin2:
I may well be wrong but it seemed to me that your code has got the two pins mixed up.

...R

I
m not sure why but when I connect the grnd and 5v to the board my board shorts out. I switched my wiring around and it still didn't fix my issues so I don't think the 9 and 8 pin are the issue.

The easydriver already has a voltage regulator on board so connecting the arduino 5 volt to the 5 volt pin ( this pin is outputting 5 volts) of the easydriver is probably not a good idea.

Is the stepper motor powered ( are the coils being driven)? That is does it resist being turned by hand of its shaft.

If it turns freely then there is no way you will get it to step.

I would look closely where your step and dir wires go into the board and where they go into the arduino.

Having those bare wires at the board almost or actually touching each other is not too good.

Why not lay out your wiring more carefully so it doesn't look like a bowl of spaghetti and post another photo of it.

Your code is delightfully simple so don't go changing that, except that it might be an idea to increase the delay between steps. Using 200 millisecs will give 10 steps per second which should be fast enough for testing.

void loop() {
  digitalWrite(9, HIGH);
  delay(1);          
  digitalWrite(9, LOW); 
  delay(200);          
}

...R