Easy help with switches

Hello.
This is a very "electronics newbie" and simple question.

I need an electronic switch/gate that STAYS CLOSED with a single pulse (digital high pulse), and STAYS OPEN with the next pulse whenever i send it.

Things i know:

1. Relays will only stay CLOSED while the signal is HIGH. Doesn´t work for me.

2. Optocouplers/transistors, same thing... maybe i can use an optocoupler to drive the actual pulse if the digital 40mA is not enough.

There MUST be a darn single electronic switch that stays open/close by receiving a single digital HIGH pulse.

Could anyone please recommend one of these?

I need this because i´m controling a heating application. The resistor has to stay ON till the air temperature raises to a certain degree. It´s not a solution to leave the digital pin HIGH driving a relay for 10 minutes. I would like to send a single HIGH to turn it on, and a single HIGH to turn it off.

any ideas ?
Thanks guys!!
Pedro

What you want is called a "latching relay"
It has two coils, pulse one coil for on and the other for off.

Sounds like you need a T flip-flop.

pguillem:
It´s not a solution to leave the digital pin HIGH driving a relay for 10 minutes.

Eh? Why not?

That's exactly what microcontrollers are for - to replace logic elements such as flip-flops and simplify hardware design.

You have something muddled here.

I need this because i´m controling a heating application.

Actually, knowing the type of heating load and how you need to use it would help us.

• Is the heater powered by AC or DC?
  • What is heater's voltage / current / power rating?
  • Do you need solid-state, electronic or electro-mechanical control of the heating element?
  • What is the fastest rate you'll ever need to switch the heater ON and OFF?
  • Why do you need impulse (toggle) control of the heater?