easy networking - used netbook

hi, this thread is kind of stupid I know... but I am just trying to point out that there is a very simple way to get arduino to communicate, send data wirelessly etc. and even do some basic computing before sending data out A method that is so simple that actually quite a lot of ppl forget it can be done

Quite a lot of ppl try to get arduino to communicate using ethernet boards, xbee, bluetooth, wifi routers etc. That's great but in most cases (where weight & power consumption isn't an issue) it is cheaper to get a used netbook with wifi and maybe bluetooth... the cheapest ones can be gotten for as little as 60$..

Connect the board via usb cable to the netbook and voila!

I know that what I just wrote is totally obvious but hey I've seen dozens of ppl who paid ~45$ for an ethernet board and another 45$ for wifi router just to get send temperature readings 50meters away

it is cheaper to get a used netbook with wifi and maybe bluetooth... the cheapest ones can be gotten for as little as 60$..

I've been interested in using a netbook on a bot for a long time, but never have seen a workable one in the $60 range you posted. Can you supply a link to one in this price range? That being said, walmart has an Acer netbook on sale this week for $199.

Acctually I've seen even cheaper than that... unfortunately my links wouldn't help you much, as I live in eastern europe :)

Finding cheap stuff requires patience and good google skillz... I am sure you'll come across some real bargains if you spend some time looking for them

There's always an excuse. ;)

lol if you insist-> http://allegro.pl/kompletny-laptop-acer-202t-10gb-rs232-lpt-2xusb-i1481443676.html that's 68$ for a pretty decent laptop

if all you want is wifi and some basic computing then you might as well get a cheaper one

Not a bad deal for a working laptop, but it isn't quite a "netbook" as I have come to know them.

wtedy arduino staje sie dostawk? a nie odwrotnie to tak jakby kombajn ci?gn?? p?ug ..

Co do bluetootha to na ebayu od chinczykow mozna dostac za 60z? 2 sztuki z darmow? wysy?k?, podpina sie pod RX i TX wifi tez mozna (karta ethernetowa 50z? ebay + akcespoint wifi )

But then you defeat the purpose of using a small cheap microcontroller. You can build your own supporting peripherals for a fraction of the price of the pre built shields.

Introducing another massively more powerful processor just to act as an ethernet shield seems bit of a waste to me. Once you introduce something like a netbook you might as well remove the arduino and run everything from the netbook directly. Then you can use multi threaded processes and real time o/s.

Gordon

@zachwiej you are right - it's an overkill... but if it's not a problem and it is cheaper than an Xbee/Wifi board then why not ?

The problem is that stuff for arduino is expensive and at the same time has limited features. And that's even worse considering that electronic waste is a real problem nowadays

anyway it would be great if there was an easy way to interface ardunio with computer/laptop parts :(

"netbook" as I have come to know them

yeah I know but I couldn't find one ATM.... as I said earlier if you want to find good bargains you've got to be patient

But then you defeat the purpose of using a small cheap microcontroller

I realize that. But I might be up to something here... one day will have to move on to a better platform

GordonEndersby: Once you introduce something like a netbook you might as well remove the arduino and run everything from the netbook directly.

Except that netbooks tend to have a rather limited supply of ADCs and PWMs.

Except that netbooks tend to have a rather limited supply of ADCs and PWMs.

Well, you connect an arduino to it! A laptop (and I guess a netbook) has audio/video capability with wifi connectivity. The good thing about a netbook is you can just disconnect it from the bot and take it along with you to starbucks.