EASY way to add 1.8" TFT+ microSD card- and uses ONE data line

I recently was delighted with first exploration of an EASY- to- use, and only- needs- one- pin- to- drive TFT display.

Apart from ease of use, I was amazed by the crispness of the display, and vivid colors. (200,000+ shades possible… and there’s an easy way to load .bmps to the display from the contents of the microSD card whic6h has a socket provided for it.)

128x160 pixels… that’s “bigger” than I thought, by the way.
1.8" diagonal.
“Built in” fonts in 3 sizes.

The module is ST7735 based, will tell you the quality if you’ve connected one the old, hard way. (The images from ST7735s on offer from Google(Images) (29 Jul 15) do not do it justice.)

Now there is a new(?), easy, way to access that lovely sub-component.

The device I’m going on about comes from Hobbytronics.co.uk. Their stock number TFTSERIAL. Cost £24, including the 20% “sales tax” (VAT) we pay in the lovely EU.

I write this with two hopes…

a) To introduce you to a nice device
b) To save you being scared off, as I was, by things I saw (29 Jul 15) on the product’s listing page

– YOU WON’T NEED the Adafruit ST7735 library, or the other one.
– YOU WON’T NEED to use a complex, multi-pin connector to connect it to either Arduino or Pi… or anything else… a small, low power “status” display for your media server, perhaps?

Wiring…

*The device’s ground must, of course, be connected to the controlling siliocn intelligence’s ground.
*The device needs 5v from somewhere. I ran it off of “spare” power on my Arduino’s Vcc.

*The device needs ONE other wire from the Aduino, Pi, etc, and down that you send serial data at 9600. (I recommend using the SoftwareSerial option, but you can just use a “standard” serial line.)

Do the “Hello World” program?.. ALL you need, with serial data going out on line D3. (And D2 not used, or used only for input to Arduino.)

#include 
SoftwareSerial mySerial(2,3); // RX, TX  <<You can change these to the lines that suit you

void setup()
{
  mySerial.begin(9600);
  delay(500);
}

void loop()
{
  mySerial.println("Hello world ");
  delay(600);
}

(I.e., just to get started, you can simply send plain text to the display. It will word wrap and scroll by itself.)

But that’s BORING! You can ALSO, with very little hassle, send it codes to clear the screen, move the text cursor to a place, change font size, change font color, move a GRAPHICS cursor to a place. Set the color of a pixel.

The command set for doing this, and a demo program (sketch) for showing off the options… plus a few useful “housekeeping” subroutines!.. available from the Hobbytronics page. See below.

The above, repeated, some bits expanded. “Likes” welcomed… and may help someone who would be glad of it find it?

http://www.arunet.co.uk/tkboyd/ec/ec1tft-st7735.htm

Hobbytronics page…

http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/tft-serial-display-18

===
If you fetch the attached image (just a picture of the display, with “stuff” on it) make HUGE allowances for poor photography. The actual display is CRISP and VIVID!)

tft-st7735demo.jpg