Easydriver-How to output FULL step of a stepper motor?

I have a Nema 17 64 oz-in high torque stepper motor. I just want to make it move FULL step every time. How to code that? Thanks.

My code is just a very simple one. I am a beginner of Arduino and the stepper motor is anyone would like to share me some code to make it? I just want to make it work all the time rather than turn some angles and turns off. Thank you so much.

// Define the pin outs

void setup() {
pinMode(8, OUTPUT); // Connect pin 8 to DIR, the direction pin
pinMode(9, OUTPUT); // Connect pin 9 to STEP, the step pin
digitalWrite(8, LOW); // Initialize pin 8 to low
digitalWrite(9, LOW); // Initialize pin 9 to low

}

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// Turn the motor forward continually
void loop() {
digitalWrite(9, HIGH); // Put to high to move one step
delayMicroseconds(800); // Pause for 0.7 ms
digitalWrite(9, LOW); // Put to low to prepare for the next step
delayMicroseconds(800); // Pause for 0.7 ms

}

Hi,

I'm also new to arduino. However, I don't think you can use Arduino to drive step motor directly. The power of Arduino pin can't provide enough power to move your NEMA 17. NEMA 17 is not a small motor, it needs relatively large current to make it move.

you may need design a H-bridge or step motor driver. Also, you can buy the motor driver for Arduino online.

The link below has the similar topic that you have. You can have a look.

Good Luck!

puyuneu:
you may need design a H-bridge or step motor driver.

The OP has told us he is using an Easydriver stepper motor driver. That is much better than a h-bridge motor driver when you want to drive a stepper motor,

...R

Boyce:
I have a Nema 17 64 oz-in high torque stepper motor. I just want to make it move FULL step every time. How to code that? Thanks.

My code is just a very simple one. I am a beginner of Arduino and the stepper motor is anyone would like to share me some code to make it? I just want to make it work all the time rather than turn some angles and turns off. Thank you so much.

I'm not sure from this whether you want the motor to move in full steps rather than microsteps or whether you just want it to move continuously.

The Easydriver is only suitable for motors that require less than 750 mA. What current does your motor require? Post a link to the datasheet for the motor.

AFAIK the Easydriver defaults to micro-stepping. This Sparkfun page explains how to choose the different step settings.

...R

Robin2:
The OP has told us he is using an Easydriver stepper motor driver. That is much better than a h-bridge motor driver when you want to drive a stepper motor,

...R

Ohhhhh.......didn't see that. Thanks

Connect MS0 and MS1 to ground for full stepping mode.

But why would you do that? Full steps are noisy, lots of vibration and poor torque performance
due to resonant-pull-out.

Anyway look at the AccelStepper library for actually interfacing to the EasyDriver, much more convenient.

Robin2:
I'm not sure from this whether you want the motor to move in full steps rather than microsteps or whether you just want it to move continuously.

The Easydriver is only suitable for motors that require less than 750 mA. What current does your motor require? Post a link to the datasheet for the motor.

AFAIK the Easydriver defaults to micro-stepping. This Sparkfun page explains how to choose the different step settings.

...R

Thank you so much! I am using the stepper motor to feed the filament into the hotend, however, the processing is always jerky. So I thought it might due to the torque is not high enough.

MarkT:
Connect MS0 and MS1 to ground for full stepping mode.

But why would you do that? Full steps are noisy, lots of vibration and poor torque performance
due to resonant-pull-out.

Anyway look at the AccelStepper library for actually interfacing to the EasyDriver, much more convenient.

Thank you so much. Yes, when I let it go to full step, I can clearly feel the vibration, but the torque seems not get higher. It also might because the temperature reading of the hotend is not accurate, do you know is there any source like the AccelStepper to handle the thermistor control? Thanks.

See reply #3, especially:

Boyce:
Thank you so much. Yes, when I let it go to full step, I can clearly feel the vibration, but the torque seems not get higher. It also might because the temperature reading of the hotend is not accurate, do you know is there any source like the AccelStepper to handle the thermistor control? Thanks.

Generally the maximum usable torque drops with full steps due to resonance effects. Microstepping is
the way to go unless you want the vibration and noise for effect I think!