Easydriver with NEMA 17 Motor wont turn on

Dear Arduino Community,

I want to build a camera slider with Nema 17 Motors and easydriver´s to control the stepper motor.

I connected everything like it is in this article:
http://www.schmalzhaus.com/.../EasyDriverExamples.html

I also used the code out of this article. But the steppermotor isn´t turning at all. I used a 12V 1.5A power supply. Furthermore I used an Arduino Mega, which has never caused problems. I use the Nema 17 Stepper motors with 42 Ncm.

Also the red LED on the easydriver isn’t turning on. This could be a indicator for the problem

Can anybody maybe help me please?

The link does not work.

That tells us very little about the motors. Post a data sheet or the page from where you bought them. Is the Easydriver appropriate for that motor? (Easydriver max current 750mA) Did you set the coil current control on the Easydriver?

Post clear photos of your wiring. We need to see where every wire is going and all power supplies.

Post your test code in code tags. Use the IDE autoformat tool (ctrl-t or Tools, Auto Format) to indent the code for readability before posting code.

First of all the correct Link (sorry for pasting the wrong one):
http://www.schmalzhaus.com/EasyDriver/Examples/EasyDriverExamples.html?fbclid=IwAR0EFNMi8vJwso3O_aKdz4um4Pv4h5YRvZnaQNtuZQnyTTCtJ6Pbx-wZGKI

Secondly this is the Datasheet which was packed with my motors:

Is the Easydriver appropriate for that motor?
I dont really know. I just searched for easydriver on Amazon. I bought these one:
https://www.amazon.de/TECNOIOT-EasyDriver-Stepper-Driver-Development/dp/B07QGP9C1K/ref=pd_ybh_a_68?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=8PPF5XN0VJGV1RXHHJZY

Did you set the coil current control on the Easydriver?
how do i do this?

And lastly the code i used:

void setup() {
  pinMode(8, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(9, OUTPUT);
  digitalWrite(8, LOW);
  digitalWrite(9, LOW);
}

void loop() {
  digitalWrite(9, HIGH);
  delay(1);
  digitalWrite(9, LOW);
  delay(1);
}

Thanks in advance for helping :slight_smile:

The motor is rated for 1.5A coil current and the Easydriver is rated for 750mA continuous. Easydriver is not appropriate for that motor unless you can adjust the coil current to withing what the Easydriver can supply. I would recommend the DRV8825 driver. It can handle the full 1.5A coil current. The linked page has good instructions on its use and how to properly adjust coil current.

Are you sure of the polarity and output voltage of the motor power supply? Measured with a DMM and while powering the motor?

Does the coil current adjust on the Easydriver board have any effect? See this page for instructions on setting the coil current on the Easydriver.

RST - Logic Input. When set LOW, all STEP commands are ignored and all FET functionality is turned off. Must be pulled HIGH to enable STEP control.

I see no connection to the reset on the Easydriver. "Must be pulled HIGH" says, to me, that it must be connected externally to Vcc. I would pull it up with a 10K resistor.

The red LED on the easydriver isn´t turning on, no matter what i try. Does this mean the Driver is damaged or does this indicate a problem with the power?
The problem is, that this is the second easyDriver i tried :frowning:
Im so mad... I tried so many variants, but non work for me. On Youtube it works in every Video. But not for me...

So did you measure the motor power supply voltage with a meter

This may be silly, but it has caught me before...

Make sure your coil wire "firing order" is correct. I've had steppers that fire from left to right being 1-2-3-4 or 1-3-4-2

If you're unsure, unplug the motor, and cross two wires at a time, and try to spin the motor by hand. You'll feel a decent resistance when you found a pair.

The datasheet should say which pins are
1a 1b 2a 2b, you're trying to match the order given in the datasheet

Much easier to just buzz-out the motor windings with a meter...

Its essential that the connections between driver and motor are rock-solid, and you must
never connect or disconnect them with the EasyDriver powered up, that will normally
instantly destroy the driver.

Look like you are using 1ms pulses, thats a pulse a thousandth of a second ON then OFF.
Try;

void loop() {
  digitalWrite(9, HIGH);
  delay(100);
  digitalWrite(9, LOW);
  delay(100);

Please draw a circuit diagram from your project, reverse engineer your project, this will let you see any wiring problems that may be present.

Tom... :grinning: :+1: :coffee: :australia: