EEG system

Hello, I would like to get an opinion about the possibility of linking EEG system (electroencephalography) to control image filters in max or PD. Will be some hardware designed for this, in arduino products?

I would like to get an opinion about the possibility of linking EEG system...to control image filters in max or PD.

Which EEG system? What part of the output should be used to control the images?

Will be some hardware designed for this

If not, you'll have to.

My proposal is to create an interactive system where images are manipulated by neuronal activity, blood pressure or heartbeat for a total of 3 to 4 people. I thought about using an EEG device type MUSE: the brain sensing headband | Indiegogo
or http://emotiv.com/.
The pulses resulting from neuronal activity, blood pressure or heart rate, will be mapped into max, processing or PD which in turn will enable effects in images. I also thought of using Module8 vj connected to the max to be easier to manipulate the images in real time.
For now I'm trying to understand which devices will need to develop this interaction.

Those systems are just snake oil.

There is nothing that says what form the output is in.

Like so many art projects I have seen there will not be enough feedback quickly enough so that those wired up will not know what affects what.

Grumpy_Mike:
Those systems are just snake oil.

:). Wikipedia has some examples how to use the waves. Am I in coma? Or braindead? Sleeping? Or epileptic? The waves can indicate whether one is blinking the eyes or biting the teeth. What else would be there, potentially useful? Practical ideas?

The waves can indicate whether one is blinking the eyes or biting the teeth

No that is muscle activity not brain wave pickup.

Are you trying to make the images interactive, so that the viewers can learn how to control the effects they're seeing, or are you just envisaging these sensors being a source of random noise to drive the display?

People have worked on linking EEG to computers, mainly at universities. There are 1000s of papers
published on EEG and probably 100s on EEG-computer links.

Recording EMG [muscles] is easier that EEG [brain waves] as the former signals are in the
100s of mV range, while the latter are only 10-20 uV, 100X smaller. Picking up EEGs requires
well designed amplifiers. You have to learn a lot to do it properly, including get nice silver
electrodes with gooey gel on them.

You also have to take some effort to design the circuits properly, so you don't electrocute the
patient [ummm, experimental subject].