EEG Wheelchair

Hello everyone,

I am currently in the process of creating an EEG Brain-Controlled Wheelchair as a project. I am in the very early stages of creation of this wheelchair. I am not very familiar with Arduino or how exactly that they work. Can you please give me some general information about how to use an Arduino to control an electric wheelchair? This will really help me get started.

Thanks!

I am currently in the process of creating an EEG Brain-Controlled Wheelchair as a project.

A very bad idea. EEG brain control is flaky at the best of times but to put it in charge of a moving vehicle could only be described as folly at the best. Especially if you don't know how to use an Arduino in the first place.

Can you please give me some general information about how to use an Arduino to control an electric wheelchair?

You need to find out how much current each motor takes and then look for a motor drive that will handle that large amount.

Mike,

I eventually plan on utilizing a USB camera as well as bump-sensors to aid in the control of the wheelchair so that the system will not be as heavily reliant on the EEG system. I just was trying to get some direction as to the first steps that I need to take.

Thanks

Have you learned how to collect and interpret EEG data yet? If so, tell us more!

Thus far I have looked into multiple approaches for the interpretation and collection of EEG data. I own a Cognionics 32 channel EEG headset. For the first part of the project I would like to use only electrodes C3 and C4 which are both involved in motor control of the cortex of the brain. The signal will be received by a laptop computer using Bluetooth to the Cognionics headset. Once the laptop has the signal, it goes through a MatLab program which converts the signal to frequency versus time domain.

I plan on wearing the headset for a few minutes in silent meditation without thinking. I will then look at the wave forms to determine my approximate resting potentials. I will then be in rest-mode and think of moving my right or left foot, which will produce a wave that can be filtered out from the waves of my meditation state. Using this, I plan on developing approximately the frequency range that I expect to see the wave for thinking of moving my foot. I will then create a Matlab program that will take the EEG processed data as an input, and give me an output (not sure what this will be) when the threshold is reached to denote a wave that is of the threshold of thinking of a foot movement.

I plan to use the Arduino to receive the output of the threshold potential being reached as its input. I need the Arduino to output to me the forward motion control of the joystick/motors of the wheelchair. That’s the part that I’m having difficulty understanding how I would do.

Once I get the wheelchair going forward or stopping, I plan on using SSVEP (steady-state visual-evoked potentials) or some other combination of threshold potentials to control the other directions.

As of right now I’m focused solely on going forward and stopping. I just am not completely sure how I am to use the Arduino to hi-jack the wheelchair controller, or what the programming would look like.

Start by lighting LEDs corresponding to going forward and stopping.

Controlling LEDs (especially if you control intensity) is essentially the same as controlling a motor driver: a PWM output controls intensity or motor speed.

Rather than a wheelchair, you could use a differential drive robot (like the Arduino-compatible 3Pi) to develop your algorithms.