EEPROM 24LC512 Usage

Hello,

I plan to use a 24lc512 EEPROM to store data (long strings).

But I'm a beginner in the arduino field.

Here is what I would like to know (and that I don't understand):
-To know the maximum number of EEPROM addresses.
-The max size of an address in bytes

To store the data, I plan to store the entered strings, cut them out and rewrite them in memory with a loop. Is this a good practice?

Thanks in advance,
Thomas

A 24LC512 EEPROM has 512 k-bits of storage. The datasheet says that the memory is organised as 64Kbytes of 8-bit data (64 x 8 = 512). So you have 65,536 memory locations, each capable of holding 1 byte (or 1 character).

So now you know that there are 65,536 unique memory locations within the EEPROM.

When you said

To know the maximum number of EEPROM addresses.

I'm not quite sure what you are referring to.

You may be referring to the number of unique memory locations within the EEPROM device (so 65,536), or you may be referring to the fact that the device you have chosen is an I2C device, and as such has an address on the I2C bus.

If it's the I2C address you are referring to, then the datasheet says that the 24LC512 has 3 address bits, A0, A1 & A2 which allow you to choose one of 8 consecutive addresses. The datasheet indicates that the address can be between 0x50 and 0x57 on the I2C bus.

The maximum address would be 65,535 which is 0xFFFF and that can be stored in 2 bytes.

I plan to use a 24lc512 EEPROM to store data (long strings).

Because of page boundary issues with these external eeproms, it is advisable to use a library for managing block writing to them.

Jack Christensen's extEEPROM.h is available through the library manager is my preference.

More documentation is available here

Hi,

Thanks to both of you, I was able to advance my project as I wish and better understand the elements I use :slight_smile:

@markd833 you answered some of my questions before I asked them, a big thank you ^^
@cattledog Thanks for the library, it helps me a lot ^^

Good day and good continuation :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Thomas