EEPROM as removable storage

Hello everyone

I have been tinkering around with 24LC256 EEPROM and getting my head around reads and writes with slow but successful progress (50-years since schooldays).
As part of an energy monitoring project and thermostat build, I was wondering if anyone had any experience of using an EEPROM as removable storage?
I know it is used commercially, but what about with Arduino?
What concerns me is the safe removal or reinsertion with 0V, 5V, SDA and SCL. SD cards have a "switch" on the socket which presumably allows hot removal. Would an on-board power supply (e.g. 3.6-V lithium) with common ground work to get over the power disconnection?
The reason I am doing this is to have the Arduino at a fixed location, and change some of the variables (set-points etc.) offline on the EEPROM and update the Arduino. Eventually, time permitting, I would to do all this on a web browser, but this is one step at a time.

Thanks for any help

If you are going to be removing/reinserting the EEPROM a lot, a Zero Insertion Force socket would make life a lot easier. I don't know how an EEPROM would react to being hot-swapped. Maybe put a switch in its power supply line just to be sure.

I think the switch on an SD card socket is the card detect switch. It doesn't aid hot removal.

Pete

Hello,

Thanks for that.
I'm fairly new to all this (very late starter). I've pulled the 24LC256 quite a few times now with no apparent ill effects. I'll probably put the chip on a little board with a header and possibly arrange for the Vcc to be cut first. Thanks for reminding me about the ZIF's.
Basically I have two uses for the EEPROM at the moment - one is to backup a Uno/LCD counter displaying the domestic gas meter reading (Hall effect/Series 1 XBee line passing) when the power goes - the other is my general dissatisfaction with commercial programmable room thermostats (Honeywell and the like) and having to stand on your head to program. The idea is to put the key data onto removable EEPROM from the comfort of a PC, the plug it in.

Maybe you can put it on a small board of its own and use a pin header connection between boards. This is what I did for removable spi flash memory, homemade memory card. Funny if you decided to make an sram removable storage card with battery backup. :slight_smile: