El Capitan -- BEWARE!!!

I upgraded my MAC OS from Yosemite to El Capitan yesterday, and immediately my little foreign-born Nanos all quit communicating. After a number of trials and some internet search, I found that El Capitan has something called SIP (System Integrity Protection) which only allows signed (i.e., Apple-approved) software to change OS parameters.

My foreign born Nanos had previously operated with their own driver, because they used a non-standard USB protocol. That was ok, because it had a lot to do with the attractive price. Now not only wouldn't that work, but there was no way to coaxEl Capitan into accepting it, despite alleged fixes suggested on the internet. I am happy that I have a Time Capsule, because I jettisoned El Capitan after several fruitless hours of looking for a work-around.

But that wasn't all: my reliable 7-port USB hub went south, making my computer almost deaf and blind, and I couldn't get an Open Office doc I saved to reopen.

Obviously, when an OS doesn't give a hoot about legacy software and hardware, its going to just bring trouble down on power users. I strongly suggest that you avoid El Capitan, or if you take the chance, be sure you've got a full disk backup before you start the install.

I usually like to let a few months go by before I upgrade. I waited about 6 to 8 months before upgrading to Mavericks and similar amount of time for Yosemite. Just like with Windows 10, the day the new OS comes out the forums are flooded with people who are surprised they can't get this feature or that feature or some piece of hardware to work. Arduino is just one of those potential things to break. Now that OSX runs in a Virtual Box it would be interesting to perhaps test it out before installing it for real.

Hello,
I have the same problem, with El Capitan no way to see the serial ports for devices (nano or others) CH340 equipped.

I found this solution (https://www.kiwi-electronics.eu/blog?journal_blog_post_id=7) to disable the Kext signing (that is the problem, the CH340 driver as not signed):

Just like Yosemite, El Capitan requires kext driver signing. How this can be disabled in OSX 10.11 is changed however.

To get the CH340 drivers to work in El Capitan you need to use the new tool csrutil as follows:

Reboot and press CMD+R immediately after hearing the startup sound to boot to Recovery Mode
Open Terminal
Execute the following command: csrutil enable --without kext
Reboot

I will try it as soon,
Claudio

Almost sounds like Windows…

A mavericks "security update" seems to have brought in signed-driver requirements as well, and my third-party video card (with a manually edited .kext" stopped working. I can't figure out how to get it back, either.)
Fortunately, it looks the the ch340g chips are still working.

Hello,
Friday a big surprise and a bit disappointed. The first class with Pupils (~13 years old) is going te work with the Arduino. On my school we just started with Arduino. I bought 20 UNO prints and a lot of sensors for nearly €1000,- . We have an lab classroom with 25 Apple computers. Last week I did upgrade to ‘El Capitan’ .
The pupils liked Arduino and are quick learning. So enthousiast that they themselves can change the code and change the lighting frequency in ‘Blink’ script.
Disappointed because 12 iMacs doesn’t work. The upload stopped. I got this Serial Port Issue.
At this point I must say that an Mac with ‘El Capitan’ is unusable with my Arduino prints.
Remove Apple kext with terminal commando I found to risky. I don’t want to switch off Apple security and install ‘some’ Chinese drivers.
I hope a save reliable update of IDE for Arduino is coming soon.

Do you have "genuine" Unos with an ATmega16u2 usb/serial converter, or something else? If they are genuine, you should be able to get help figuring out why they don't work with El Capitan... (though, perhaps not quickly enough for a class that is already in progress...)

linux in a VM?

cmug:
Hello,
Friday a big surprise and a bit disappointed. The first class with Pupils (~13 years old) is going te work with the Arduino. On my school we just started with Arduino. I bought 20 UNO prints

cut

Hello,
please, check your boards, maybe are CH430 usb/serial converter equipped (not really genuine…).
Boards with ATmega16u2 usb/serial converter work fine with El Capitan,
Claudio

Did some test at home:
Arduini Duemilanove (My personal Board)
Chip near USB : FT232RL
By port it shows: /dev/cu.usbserial-A9005bqr
This one works fine

Arduino UNO (The board from school)
Chip near USB : ATMEL MEGA16U2 1440-PH
By port it shows: /dev/cu.usbmodem411 (Arduino/Genuino Uno)
I get error message
avrdude: ser_open(): can’t open device “/dev/cu.usbserial-A9005bqR”: No such file or directory

. . . . later
I read: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload

I tried again and remove all the wires from the Board.
Yes ! It works ! How strange ?
I hope this ‘trick’ will also work on the iMac’s at my school.
Thans for the replies.

Chip near USB : FT232RL
By port it shows: /dev/cu.usbserial-A9005bqr
This one works fine

Arduino UNO (The board from school)
Chip near USB : ATMEL MEGA16U2 1440-PH
By port it shows: /dev/cu.usbmodem411 (Arduino/Genuino Uno)
I get error message
avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "/dev/cu.usbserial-A9005bqR": No such file or directory

Why is it trying to open the "old" port from the FTDI board? Did you forget to actually change the "port" setting, or is the IDE somehow reverting to the wrong port? I think that if the IDE has never had an arduino connected, it will automatically search and select a likely "port" setting. But I'm quite sure that if there WAS a "port" setting saved from a previous use of the IDE, it would retain that setting even if that port no longer existed and a new arduino was in place...
(Perhaps this explains why only "some" of your Macs don't work - they could be the ones that used to have a different Arduino board plugged in...)

Hi “all”, since I installed el capitan (mac osx) not work more port (bluetooth only), I tried to disable SIP and to the various procedures cmd + r at boot /terminal csrutil enable --without kext … but nothing does not work it will be to MiniMAC Mac Book Pro
:frowning:
e.

I resolved the ch340 driver problem... buying a driver.
it's not great as a free solution, but it's quite cheap and works, and you don't have to disable kext signing and do other bad things.

This is the site

Tested and working with 10.11.1 and some chinese maga(s).