elechouse wave shield v3 + SainSmart UNO R3 - no sound

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone got the above mentioned Wave Shield to work?

This is my first Druino project. I've been trying to get the Wave Shield (elechouse Wave Shield V3) to play some .ad4 files stored
on the MicroSD card, but all I can hear in the headset is periodic high pitch noise (1/sec?).
This is the link to the product: http://www.elechouse.com/elechouse/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=168_170&products_id=2248

Here's what I tried:

1. Put a single .wav file, named 0000.wav on the root directory of the SD card. Arduino code is from the bundled instructions,
    except I removed playing any other file than the first. The wav file is a 16-bit PCM 11KHz mono file. No dice.

2. Repeated with a different file, the provided 0000.ad4. No dice.

3. Tried to use the UNO as a power supply (so program just resets the state of the DATA/CLK pins) and use the buttons
    on the board. No dice

I am wondering if my issues are:
a. Faulty shield;
b. Wrong format of file names on SD card;
c. Incorrect documentation - the pins used to program the shield have changed between V2 and V3 and the new board
is not even connected (as it's smaller) to DP0-DP7 and any of the Analog pins. The documentation is pretty sparse.
One of the main differences, other than the pins, is that the RESET pin is no longer documented in the wave diagram,
but is mentioned in description of each pin...

Any info would be appreciated on what to do to get this to work..
Anyone who has been able to get this board to work - what files were you using? How are they formatted?

Cheers,

Bonny